Czech Airlines orders A220 and A321XLR aircraft, making New York–Prague flights possible
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Czech Airlines, a member of SkyTeam along with Delta Air Lines, plans to modernize its fleet and potentially expand its route network. On Wednesday, the carrier announced that it had ordered four Airbus A220-300 aircraft and upsized its previous order of three A320neos to the bigger, longer-range A321XLRs.
The aircraft will join Czech’s existing fleet of six A319s and one A330-300. Czech will feature 149 seats on the A220 in an all-economy configuration. The A321XLR, which will fly longer routes, will be outfitted in a two-cabin configuration with a total of 195 seats.
“The A220 and A321XLR fit well with our long-term business strategy in terms of network expansion”, said Chairman of the Board Petr Kudela.
Czech will take delivery of the A321XLRs in 2023. With a range of up to 4,700 nautical miles, it could possibly bring back the carrier’s Prague to New York nonstop. Czech previously operated the transatlantic route with one of its Airbus A310s before suspending the route in 2009. The PRG-JFK nonstop is 3,547 nautical miles, making the option well within the new jet’s reach. Additionally, the XLR puts other U.S. cities and destinations in Africa and Asia within reach. (The airline’s lone Airbus A330 would also have the range to serve the U.S., but is used to cover flights to Seoul, South Korea, plus occasional charters.)
We have reached out to Czech to see if the airline intends to relaunch its New York to Prague nonstop, though we did not receive a response by time of publication.
If the carrier does decide to relaunch the route, it would fit one of the latest trends in commercial aviation, as more airlines are turning to narrow-body aircraft for medium- to long-haul routes. It remains to be seen exactly which seats the carrier will opt for in the A321XLRs, but if it chooses a lie-flat configuration like JetBlue Mint, it could prove to be a very comfortable passenger experience. Delta’s SkyMiles can be collected and spent on Czech, making a possible New York flight very interesting for Delta flyers.
Renderings courtesy of Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees