President Biden to lift many restrictions on travel to Cuba
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Major changes are coming to U.S. Cuba policy. First reported by the Miami Herald and McClatchy, and later confirmed by the Department of State, the Biden administration will again open travel and trade with Cuba to Americans.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The policy changes will reportedly include a big expansion in flights between the United States and Cuba, allowing more group travel, lifting the cap on money transfers to families in Cuba and reestablishing a family reunification program. Under former President Donald Trump, flights had been limited to Havana and most trade and tourism were forbidden.
While it appears individual tourism to Cuba will remain off-limits, Americans should soon be able to book group tours again.
The policy changes come after a long review of Cuba policy and could help open Cuba back up to tourism and investment by Americans.
The Trump administration had sought to freeze a reopening to Cuba that former President Barack Obama started during his presidency.
Trump put into place rules that outlawed many types of tours and forbade trips by most ships. In 2019, the Trump administration also banned commercial flights to all cities in Cuba except Havana, rolling back an easing of Cuba-U.S. flight restrictions that began under Obama.
We’ll have more details on planning a visit to Cuba as we get them.
Featured photo of downtown Havana by Kriangkrai Thitimakorn/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees