There’s an Amex Offer that you can stack with cruise wave season deals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It is hard to believe that it’s been more than a year since I’ve been on a cruise ship. I usually book multiple voyages a year, but the pandemic — and resulting pause to cruising nearly worldwide — has certainly slowed that pace.
But, it’s wave season, the time of year when cruise lines typically offer their best value-added deals and promotions. And I’m getting stir crazy. While I don’t plan to cruise until I — and more of my fellow travelers — have been vaccinated, I’m still in research and booking mode.
Before the world changed, I had my eye on a few Uniworld river cruise itineraries.
- Paris & Normandy (8 days): Paris, La Roche-Guyon, Vernon, Giverny, Rouen, Caudebec-enCaux (Honfleur or Etretat), Normandy Beaches, Mantes-la-Jolie (Versailles), Paris
- Brilliant Bordeaux (8 days): Bordeaux, Blaye, Bourg sure Gironde, Cussac Fort Medoc, Pauillac la Fayette, Cadillac, Liboure (Saint-Emilion), Bordeaux
- Castles Along the Rhine (8 days): Basel, Breisach (Freiburg), Kehl (Strasbourg), Mannheim (Speyer), Rudesheim, Boppard, Koblenz, Cologne, Amsterdam
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
My cruise history has focused on oceangoing, small-ship and expedition voyages, so I’m anxious to try a high-end riverboat cruise. And, Uniworld is at the top of the landscape when it comes to luxury river cruises.
It’s cruise fare inclusions range from unlimited premium wines and spirits, onboard gratuities, airport transfers, onboard Wi-Fi and even bikes to use in port. Overall, I think Uniworld will be a good bet for a future post-pandemic vacation.
How to stack an Amex Offer with other cruise deals
What I realize now is that — even though I don’t plan to travel right away — it might be the right time for others to book a dream cruise. My uncle, for example, just got his first vaccine dose and is anxious to get back out in the world when it’s safe. If you’re in a similar position, note that there’s a nice Uniworld wave season sale going on right now. Pair that with perks offered by your travel agent and a lucrative Uniworld Amex Offer that’s available through April 11, 2021, and you could get a terrific deal on an upcoming voyage.
Here’s how to triple stack a cruise deal:
Find the right wave season deal
There are some exciting wave season deals this year for travel in 2021, 2022 and even into 2023. I’m hoping the vaccine rollout will speed up, so I’m looking at late 2021 voyages.
Uniworld is promoting its Cruise Back Into Travel sale and the reduced cruise fares are compelling. Take, for example, the Castles Along the Rhine itinerary that I mentioned above. The cruise fare for that route in 2022 is listed as $2,999 per person.
But, by booking the Oct. 31, 2021, sailing during Uniworld’s sale, I can get a fare of $2,099 per person aboard the S.S. Antoinette. That’s 30% off.
Book your cruise with the right travel agent
If you decide to book a cruise during wave season — or any time of the year, for that matter — book with the right travel agent.
That means working with a travel agent that specializes in luxury cruises, in my case. And that agent offers its own after-cruise rewards. Other agencies offer other perks like cabin upgrades, onboard credit or pre-/post-cruise hotel stays.
I could even opt to book through an online travel agency like Costco Travel. I’ve booked with them in the past and have good luck — and appreciated the Costco Shop Card that was sent to me after my cruise. (The dollar amount of your Costco Shop Card is based on your particular cruise, cabin category and price you paid.)
Pay with an American Express card that has Uniworld’s Amex Offer
As I mentioned earlier, I noticed a nice Amex Offer on Uniworld when logging in to my Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express online account. The deal terms state: Spend $1,000 or more and get a one-time $250 credited to your monthly statement.
While I found this offer on my Everyday Card, you may find this — or a similar deal — on another Amex-branded card.
If you’re interested in using this offer and you see it in your online account, be sure to add it to your card by clicking on the “Add Offer” button. The deal is valid through April 11, 2021. As long as your deposit of $1,000 or more (or full payment) is billed prior to April 11, it should trigger the $250 credit.
Learn more about Amex Offers:
- Your ultimate guide to Amex Offers
- The secret to getting more (and sometimes better) Amex Offers on your card
- How to stack Amex Offers for cash back and bonus points
- Which is the best American Express credit card for you in 2021?
There are some really nice cruise deals available if you’re willing to book now. And, with sales for voyages extending into 2023, you will likely find the sweet spot that combines a great cruise deal and your personal comfort level with future travel.
Featured image courtesy of Uniworld
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees