TSA allowing passengers to bring up to 12 ounces of hand sanitizer through security
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The epidemic that has taken the world by storm, COVID-19 is a unique strain of the coronavirus family that has affected more than 128,000 people to date. Now, in the latest batch of outbreak fighting measures, the TSA has announced that it will allows passengers to bring a larger bottle of hand sanitizer in their carry-on luggage. Effective immediately, travelers can bring bottles up to 12 ounces with them through security, quadruple the previous standardized amount.
Related reading: Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
According to the TSA website, “TSA understands that COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is at the forefront on the minds of travelers, as health officials are encouraging that individuals wash their hands frequently. With that in mind, TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer containers up to 12 ounces to be permitted in carry-on bags until further notice. Passengers can expect that these containers larger than the standard allowance of 3.4 ounces of liquids permitted through a checkpoint will need to be screened separately, which will add some time to their checkpoint screening experience.”
This puts hand sanitizer closer to the realm of medical exceptions, as people have long been able to take through liquid medications and other necessities despite the restrictions.
Other liquids are not affected by this rule, and passengers must still limit themselves to 3.4 oz (100 ml) containers inside quart-sized bags in their carry-on luggage.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- What does the deadly coronavirus mean for travelers?
- Myth-busting: Will a face mask keep you safe from viruses on a plane?
- Extreme measures cruise lines are taking
- No coronavirus waiver? Some airlines have you more covered than others
- How a global outbreak has left the travel industry reeling
Feature photo by Tetra Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.