U.S. airlines begin waiving change fees for Europe travel following coronavirus spread
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coronavirus situation continues to escalate around the world — now, U.S. travelers are reconsidering their plans to visit countries throughout Europe, with cities in northern Italy falling under even greater scrutiny following a recent outbreak near Milan.
As a result, U.S. airlines are issuing their first travel waivers covering travel to Europe, focused specifically on Italy — for now, at least.
Currently, American Airlines is waiving change fees for tickets booked by Feb. 27 to, from or through a variety of Italian cities, including Bologna, (BLQ), Florence (FLR), Milan (BGY, LIN and MXP), Naples (NAP), Pisa (PSA), Turin (TRN), Venice (VCE) and Verona (VRN). Customers must be scheduled to travel by March 15 in order to take advantage, and all fees will be waived when rebooking in the same cabin and between the same cities for travel by April 3. These changes can be made on American’s website — just look for the “change trip” option, and fees should be waived. Meanwhile, change and cancellation fees will also be waived for travel beyond April 3, but a difference in fare may apply. For those adjustments, contact American reservations at (800) 433-7300.
Delta Air Lines is offering customers with flights booked on or before Feb. 26 to or from Italy between now and March 15 the ability to make a one-time change without any penalties. Head over to My Trips on Delta’s website, click “Modify flight” and “Start Flight Change” to change your dates. As of now, all fees will be waived before checkout as long as you plan to travel by April 3 — Delta will waive the change fee to travel beyond that date or to another destination, but a difference in fare may apply.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Meanwhile, United Airlines issued a waiver covering cities in Northern Italy, including Bologna, (BLQ), Genoa (GOA), Milan (BGY, LIN and MXP), Trieste (TRS), Turin (TRN), Venice (VCE) and Verona (VRN). Tickets must have been purchased by Feb. 26 for travel dates by April 30. United will waive the change fee, and fare difference for travel between the original cities departing by April 30 — passengers flying after that date or between different cities than originally booked will have the change fee waived, but a difference in fare may apply. As with Delta, affected customers should be able to make changes by pulling up their reservations online.
We’ll continue to update this page as the situation evolves — in the meantime, if you’re still considering a trip, be sure to check out our detailed guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak.
Featured photo by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.