U.S. airlines begin waiving change fees for Europe travel following coronavirus spread
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coronavirus situation continues to escalate around the world — now, U.S. travelers are reconsidering their plans to visit countries throughout Europe, with cities in northern Italy falling under even greater scrutiny following a recent outbreak near Milan.
As a result, U.S. airlines are issuing their first travel waivers covering travel to Europe, focused specifically on Italy — for now, at least.
Currently, American Airlines is waiving change fees for tickets booked by Feb. 27 to, from or through a variety of Italian cities, including Bologna, (BLQ), Florence (FLR), Milan (BGY, LIN and MXP), Naples (NAP), Pisa (PSA), Turin (TRN), Venice (VCE) and Verona (VRN). Customers must be scheduled to travel by March 15 in order to take advantage, and all fees will be waived when rebooking in the same cabin and between the same cities for travel by April 3. These changes can be made on American’s website — just look for the “change trip” option, and fees should be waived. Meanwhile, change and cancellation fees will also be waived for travel beyond April 3, but a difference in fare may apply. For those adjustments, contact American reservations at (800) 433-7300.
Delta Air Lines is offering customers with flights booked on or before Feb. 26 to or from Italy between now and March 15 the ability to make a one-time change without any penalties. Head over to My Trips on Delta’s website, click “Modify flight” and “Start Flight Change” to change your dates. As of now, all fees will be waived before checkout as long as you plan to travel by April 3 — Delta will waive the change fee to travel beyond that date or to another destination, but a difference in fare may apply.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Meanwhile, United Airlines issued a waiver covering cities in Northern Italy, including Bologna, (BLQ), Genoa (GOA), Milan (BGY, LIN and MXP), Trieste (TRS), Turin (TRN), Venice (VCE) and Verona (VRN). Tickets must have been purchased by Feb. 26 for travel dates by April 30. United will waive the change fee, and fare difference for travel between the original cities departing by April 30 — passengers flying after that date or between different cities than originally booked will have the change fee waived, but a difference in fare may apply. As with Delta, affected customers should be able to make changes by pulling up their reservations online.
We’ll continue to update this page as the situation evolves — in the meantime, if you’re still considering a trip, be sure to check out our detailed guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak.
Featured photo by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees