Clear has limited hours at Newark; will fully open next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just last month, Clear announced that it would be coming to Newark Airport in the near future, and although that day did come at the beginning of November, for its first week of operation, Clear was only open limited hours, and only for PreCheck-eligible passengers. Some TPG readers mentioned that Clear was inconsistently open during its first week in Newark, and the company’s website wasn’t entirely clear, listing only weekend hours.
But the good news is that the opening week kinks are behind us. Starting on Sunday, Nov. 10, Clear will start its permanent schedule for PreCheck travelers daily from 3:30 a.m. – 11 p.m. There’s no schedule published yet for when Clear will open for those without PreCheck, but a Clear spokesman advised travelers to keep an eye on the company’s website for updated information. The website currently shows temporary hours for PreCheck on Friday and Saturday, with the permanent hours beginning on Sunday.
If you’re not familiar with Clear, it’s a frequent traveler’s best friend. Clear allows you to skip the manual boarding pass and ID check. In most airports, the Clear line is integrated with TSA PreCheck. If you’re eligible for PreCheck you can whisk right to the front of the line and through security (usually) in no time. Travelers who are enrolled in the program have their own separate lane for the first step, where you use biometric authentication (fingerprint or eye scan) at a kiosk, rather than wait for a TSA agent to inspect your ID and scribble something on your boarding pass.
Tempted by the prospect of even faster airport security? Check out our full guide to Clear. And for the first time, travelers with the American Express® Green Card can enjoy up to $100 in statement credit when they use the recently-refreshed card to purchase a Clear membership.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
At Newark airport, Clear’s located in Terminal C, home to over 70 United Airlines gates. And fortunately for Newark travelers, the permanent schedule will begin rolling out on Sunday. For those with Clear but without PreCheck, keep an eye on the website for when those lanes will open, and we’ll be sure to update this story when that information is available.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
This story was updated after publication to reflect that Clear is opening with a full schedule beginning Nov. 10.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees