CLEAR expedited security coming to Newark this month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers, rejoice: Salvation, in the form of CLEAR expedited airport security, is coming to Newark International Airport’s Terminal C. We’d known for some months that United’s terminal at the New York-area hub would come, but now we have an idea of the date.
“We’re installing CLEAR pods and building out our lanes in Terminal C at EWR, and expect to launch later this month,” a CLEAR spokesperson told TPG. The expedited security processing should help greatly reduce the lines and long wait times for qualified travelers.
United MileagePlus members are at a particular advantage here: any member, regardless of status, is eligible for a discount off of CLEAR’s standard pricing of $179 per year. Here’s what you’ll pay per year if you fly United:
- MileagePlus member, no status: $119
- Co-branded cardmembers or MileagePlus Silver, Gold and Platinum: $109
- Premier 1K and Global Services: Free
Additional family members over the age of 18 can be added onto your plan for $50/year apiece, for up to three household members who share your address. Children under the age of 18 can use CLEAR for free, provided their guardian is an active CLEAR member.
EWR served a record 46 million travelers in 2018. Every single one of those passengers had to pass through security checkpoints, and EWR is notorious for long security lines that snake through food courts.
At Terminal C, it isn’t at all unusual for wait times to surpass 10-15 minutes in the regular line during non-peak times, or to surge past the 25-30 minute mark during peak times. Even for travelers with TSA PreCheck, security lines can easily fill up with dozens of passengers in just a few minutes.
United Airlines, the sole airline at Terminal C, has earmarked $40 million toward renovating the terminal’s checkpoints. Thus far, EWR has already implemented redesigned passenger flow and new queue space, growing the active checkpoint square footage by 50%. And now, CLEAR should help travelers pass through the extra space that much more efficiently.
Featured photo by Katherine Fan/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees