CLEAR expedited security coming to Newark this month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers, rejoice: Salvation, in the form of CLEAR expedited airport security, is coming to Newark International Airport’s Terminal C. We’d known for some months that United’s terminal at the New York-area hub would come, but now we have an idea of the date.
“We’re installing CLEAR pods and building out our lanes in Terminal C at EWR, and expect to launch later this month,” a CLEAR spokesperson told TPG. The expedited security processing should help greatly reduce the lines and long wait times for qualified travelers.
United MileagePlus members are at a particular advantage here: any member, regardless of status, is eligible for a discount off of CLEAR’s standard pricing of $179 per year. Here’s what you’ll pay per year if you fly United:
- MileagePlus member, no status: $119
- Co-branded cardmembers or MileagePlus Silver, Gold and Platinum: $109
- Premier 1K and Global Services: Free
Additional family members over the age of 18 can be added onto your plan for $50/year apiece, for up to three household members who share your address. Children under the age of 18 can use CLEAR for free, provided their guardian is an active CLEAR member.
EWR served a record 46 million travelers in 2018. Every single one of those passengers had to pass through security checkpoints, and EWR is notorious for long security lines that snake through food courts.
At Terminal C, it isn’t at all unusual for wait times to surpass 10-15 minutes in the regular line during non-peak times, or to surge past the 25-30 minute mark during peak times. Even for travelers with TSA PreCheck, security lines can easily fill up with dozens of passengers in just a few minutes.
United Airlines, the sole airline at Terminal C, has earmarked $40 million toward renovating the terminal’s checkpoints. Thus far, EWR has already implemented redesigned passenger flow and new queue space, growing the active checkpoint square footage by 50%. And now, CLEAR should help travelers pass through the extra space that much more efficiently.
Featured photo by Katherine Fan/The Points Guy
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.