Citi says $175 authorized user fee has not been added to American Airlines Executive card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG Advertising Partner.
One of the best ways to get into the Admirals Club lounge for no charge has not died after all, despite fears that it had. On Sunday night, cardholders noticed language on Citi’s site saying that a $175 annual fee would be charged when attempting to add an authorized user to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®.
If true, this would have been a major blow for the premium travel card. But Citi has denied that this was the case.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, with a $450 annual fee, offers an Admirals Club membership and has traditionally allowed cardholders to add authorized users (AUs) for no additional fee, thus granting AUs club lounge access even when traveling without the primary cardholder.
An $175 fee for adding users would have largely negated this benefit.
Though the terms and conditions for the credit card never mentioned the fee, users noticed that when attempting to add an authorized user online, they were taken to a page showing this:
However, a Citi representative has told TPG that the authorized-user fee remains $0.
Three different phone calls to Citi reps resulted in agents denying the change, with one suggesting that a weekend software update may have caused a glitch, resulting in the fee appearing online as shown above.
On Monday morning, TPG staffers who hold the card checked their online accounts, and noticed that any mention of the fee was gone.
Feature photo by Katie Genter /The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees