Chinese Airport Worker’s Salary Cut for Good Looks and Untucked Shirt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Chinese airport worker’s pay was cut after a video of the employee went viral.
An airport technician at Xiamen Airport (XMN) was filmed by a passenger on a taxing flight, and the video went viral on Tik Tok, a Chinese social media network. The 25-year-old-worker was compared to South Korean actor and heartthrob Song Joong Ki, and many chimed in that his looks were quite striking.
His rocked aviator sunglasses and an outfit that resembled a flight suit which brings to mind the 1986 film, Top Gun. The video quickly gained more than a million views on Tik Tok, according to the China News Service.
However, fame comes with a price. After the news reached the man’s employer, he was called in and disciplined for an untidy uniform and keeping his hand in his pocket. His salary was cut by 10% for violating the company’s code of conduct, which requires employees to keep their shirts tucked in.
“Taking into consideration the influential impact this video has made, the aggravated penalty must be applied,” the company notice said.
Member’s of Weibo, one of China’s most popular social media sites, shared their thoughts on what they thought was an unfair punishment.
“I feel sorry for him. He might be the first person ever to be deducted pay for being too handsome,” said user @xiaohuibujiaV.
“His boss must be jealous of his handsomeness,” @jintianyoumeixiezuoyea shared.
The man in question, who has 40,000 new Weibo followers, wasn’t that upset about the video:
“Honestly, I still feel quite happy because it is not easy to become so famous that quickly. My company did nothing wrong, it was my fault for not keeping with the correct standards in terms of dress code and behavior,” the 25-year-old worker wrote. “Please don’t bombard the passenger who uploaded the video online. I never blamed her, because she didn’t mean to cause me any harm.”
Featured image courtesy of Hermelinda S. Stutler / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees