This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Chinese airport worker’s pay was cut after a video of the employee went viral.
An airport technician at Xiamen Airport (XMN) was filmed by a passenger on a taxing flight, and the video went viral on Tik Tok, a Chinese social media network. The 25-year-old-worker was compared to South Korean actor and heartthrob Song Joong Ki, and many chimed in that his looks were quite striking.
His rocked aviator sunglasses and an outfit that resembled a flight suit which brings to mind the 1986 film, Top Gun. The video quickly gained more than a million views on Tik Tok, according to the China News Service.
However, fame comes with a price. After the news reached the man’s employer, he was called in and disciplined for an untidy uniform and keeping his hand in his pocket. His salary was cut by 10% for violating the company’s code of conduct, which requires employees to keep their shirts tucked in.
“Taking into consideration the influential impact this video has made, the aggravated penalty must be applied,” the company notice said.
Member’s of Weibo, one of China’s most popular social media sites, shared their thoughts on what they thought was an unfair punishment.
“I feel sorry for him. He might be the first person ever to be deducted pay for being too handsome,” said user @xiaohuibujiaV.
“His boss must be jealous of his handsomeness,” @jintianyoumeixiezuoyea shared.
The man in question, who has 40,000 new Weibo followers, wasn’t that upset about the video:
“Honestly, I still feel quite happy because it is not easy to become so famous that quickly. My company did nothing wrong, it was my fault for not keeping with the correct standards in terms of dress code and behavior,” the 25-year-old worker wrote. “Please don’t bombard the passenger who uploaded the video online. I never blamed her, because she didn’t mean to cause me any harm.”
Featured image courtesy of Hermelinda S. Stutler / YouTube.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees