Chinese Airport Worker’s Salary Cut for Good Looks and Untucked Shirt
A Chinese airport worker’s pay was cut after a video of the employee went viral.
An airport technician at Xiamen Airport (XMN) was filmed by a passenger on a taxing flight, and the video went viral on Tik Tok, a Chinese social media network. The 25-year-old-worker was compared to South Korean actor and heartthrob Song Joong Ki, and many chimed in that his looks were quite striking.
His rocked aviator sunglasses and an outfit that resembled a flight suit which brings to mind the 1986 film, Top Gun. The video quickly gained more than a million views on Tik Tok, according to the China News Service.
However, fame comes with a price. After the news reached the man’s employer, he was called in and disciplined for an untidy uniform and keeping his hand in his pocket. His salary was cut by 10% for violating the company’s code of conduct, which requires employees to keep their shirts tucked in.
“Taking into consideration the influential impact this video has made, the aggravated penalty must be applied,” the company notice said.
Member’s of Weibo, one of China’s most popular social media sites, shared their thoughts on what they thought was an unfair punishment.
“I feel sorry for him. He might be the first person ever to be deducted pay for being too handsome,” said user @xiaohuibujiaV.
“His boss must be jealous of his handsomeness,” @jintianyoumeixiezuoyea shared.
The man in question, who has 40,000 new Weibo followers, wasn’t that upset about the video:
“Honestly, I still feel quite happy because it is not easy to become so famous that quickly. My company did nothing wrong, it was my fault for not keeping with the correct standards in terms of dress code and behavior,” the 25-year-old worker wrote. “Please don’t bombard the passenger who uploaded the video online. I never blamed her, because she didn’t mean to cause me any harm.”
Featured image courtesy of Hermelinda S. Stutler / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.