China Eastern Flight Dumps 30 Tons of Fuel to Make Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The pilot of a China Eastern flight traveling from Shanghai (PVG) to New York (JFK) on Friday made the decision to dump 30 tons of fuel before diverting to Anchorage (ANC) after a medical emergency was declared on board.
According to the Straits Times, a 60-year-old woman on China Eastern Flight 587 began to feel unwell and complained of difficulty breathing. As the situation grew more critical, and the woman reportedly slipped in and out of consciousness, crew moved her from her economy seat to business class and attempted to perform basic first aid.
After assessing the situation, the Boeing 777-300ER pilot, Gu Jian, decided the passenger needed more medical attention than was available on board. Just more than eight hours of flight time into the journey, which typically takes 15 hours, the pilot was forced to dump 30 tons of fuel in order to be light enough to land at ANC.
“The airplane’s weight was 282 tons, far more than the maximum landing weight,” Jian said to CGTN. “When the sick passenger needed medical attention for safety reasons, the plane had to descend and dump fuel at the same time.”
Once the aircraft landed at ANC, the woman was removed from the plane and taken to a nearby hospital.
After refueling, the aircraft (registration B-2020) took off for its final destination of JFK after about a six-hour delay.
The Straits Times reports that the woman eventually recovered, was discharged and continued her journey to New York with her daughter the following morning.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees