China Eastern Flight Dumps 30 Tons of Fuel to Make Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The pilot of a China Eastern flight traveling from Shanghai (PVG) to New York (JFK) on Friday made the decision to dump 30 tons of fuel before diverting to Anchorage (ANC) after a medical emergency was declared on board.
According to the Straits Times, a 60-year-old woman on China Eastern Flight 587 began to feel unwell and complained of difficulty breathing. As the situation grew more critical, and the woman reportedly slipped in and out of consciousness, crew moved her from her economy seat to business class and attempted to perform basic first aid.
After assessing the situation, the Boeing 777-300ER pilot, Gu Jian, decided the passenger needed more medical attention than was available on board. Just more than eight hours of flight time into the journey, which typically takes 15 hours, the pilot was forced to dump 30 tons of fuel in order to be light enough to land at ANC.
“The airplane’s weight was 282 tons, far more than the maximum landing weight,” Jian said to CGTN. “When the sick passenger needed medical attention for safety reasons, the plane had to descend and dump fuel at the same time.”
Once the aircraft landed at ANC, the woman was removed from the plane and taken to a nearby hospital.
After refueling, the aircraft (registration B-2020) took off for its final destination of JFK after about a six-hour delay.
The Straits Times reports that the woman eventually recovered, was discharged and continued her journey to New York with her daughter the following morning.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees