This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It goes without saying that building and opening a new airport is no easy task. One of the biggest challenges is finding the space for it. After all, commercial airport runways are typically at least 1.1 miles long — usually more. But what do you do if there’s no space for the airport? You make space.
A new airport is coming to the mountainous Wushan County in Chongqing, China. And to make room for the airport, workers chopped off the top of a mountain — literally. Taohua Mountain (5,900 feet above sea level) was flattened by using dynamite to blow the top off.
Chongqing Wushan Airport will be a domestic airport with a 8,530-foot (1.6 miles) long runway, one terminal and one apron, which will be able to accommodate five aircraft. Construction of the awe-inspiring $252 million airport began in 2015 and is expected to be complete June 2019.
Officials hope that the project will boost connections in the region and increase tourism. Presently, the only way visitors can get to Wushan is through long bus rides along meandering roads.
The approach into the new airport will be scenic for sure, and hopefully less terrifying than landing at Tenzing-Hillary Airport (LUA) and Paro Airport (PBH).
Featured image by Xinhua News Agency / Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that