This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It goes without saying that building and opening a new airport is no easy task. One of the biggest challenges is finding the space for it. After all, commercial airport runways are typically at least 1.1 miles long — usually more. But what do you do if there’s no space for the airport? You make space.
A new airport is coming to the mountainous Wushan County in Chongqing, China. And to make room for the airport, workers chopped off the top of a mountain — literally. Taohua Mountain (5,900 feet above sea level) was flattened by using dynamite to blow the top off.
Chongqing Wushan Airport will be a domestic airport with a 8,530-foot (1.6 miles) long runway, one terminal and one apron, which will be able to accommodate five aircraft. Construction of the awe-inspiring $252 million airport began in 2015 and is expected to be complete June 2019.
Officials hope that the project will boost connections in the region and increase tourism. Presently, the only way visitors can get to Wushan is through long bus rides along meandering roads.
The approach into the new airport will be scenic for sure, and hopefully less terrifying than landing at Tenzing-Hillary Airport (LUA) and Paro Airport (PBH).
Featured image by Xinhua News Agency / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees