Move over, Amazon: American Express launches its first checkout-free store
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following in the footsteps of Amazon’s contactless stores, American Express has opened up its own check-out free store in the Barclay Center arena in Brooklyn. The store, exclusive to Amex cardholders, offers concessions and merchandise to help fans avoid long lines and get back to the action faster. The store is a partnership between Amex and the sports arena to keep fans safe from COVID-19.
Check out a sneak peek of our first-ever checkout-free American Express Shop, opening this weekend at Barclays Center exclusively for Amex Card Members. Fans can tap their Amex Card, grab what they want and get back to the action without missing a beat https://t.co/2yRKypwqfm pic.twitter.com/5tq1zO42MD
— American Express (@AmericanExpress) May 22, 2021
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The shop features a variety of food and beverage concession items, along with unique, locally sourced items from Brooklyn small businesses and, of course, select merchandise items usually found in the Brooklyn Nets Team Store. The shop is on the Barclay Center’s main concourse, outside of section 6, next to the American Express Card Member Entrance.
According to the American Express Trendex: Experiences Survey, nearly two-thirds of live-entertainment consumers agree that because of COVID-19, contactless payment options have never been more important to them. And 70% say that having a contactless payment option available would make them feel more comfortable returning to live sports, music and entertainment events.
Card members can tap their contactless Amex card, mobile wallet or insert their card to enter the shop. There may be a $1.00 hold on the card, which will be updated after purchases are completed. Technology tracks movements in the store, with each item having a unique weight that is tracked through weight-sensitive shelf sensors.
If an item is replaced on an incorrect shelf, the system will identify that the item was moved — but not purchased — and the inventory report will alert the store operator that an item is in the wrong location. In-store staff are available to monitor any issues that may arise.
After making a purchase, cardholders can see their receipts at Go.Amex/Bkshop. You’ll need to enter the last four digits of your physical card or digital wallet four-digit tail number, along with the date and approximate time of purchase. All sales are final due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
An American Express spokeswoman notes that it is focused on launching the American Express Shop at Barclays Center, so there are no plans at this time to expand in additional locations.
Featured photo courtesy of American Express
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.