Chase suspending Sapphire Reserve upgrades until higher fee kicks in
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 1/9/20: Chase has clarified that upgrades won’t be available until Jan. 13, rather than Jan. 12, as previously reported.
Well, I’m not exactly thrilled to be sharing this news, but hopefully it’ll save you some time on the phone.
A number of readers have pointed out that Chase representatives are currently unable to upgrade customers from the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to Chase Sapphire Reserve, and the issuer has confirmed that is indeed the case — officially, Chase will not allow Sapphire Reserve upgrades until Monday, Jan. 13, which is the day after the fee increases to $550 per year.
Unfortunately for Chase Sapphire Preferred cardholders, the issuer only allows customers to hold one Sapphire card — if you want the Reserve and already have Preferred, you’ll need to wait until Monday to upgrade.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Regardless of when you apply (or upgrade), beginning Jan. 12, all cardholders will have the following new benefits:
- One free year of Lyft Pink (valued at $19.99 per month)
- $60 in annual DoorDash statement credits in 2020
- $60 in annual DoorDash statement credits in 2021
That’s in addition to the following perks, plus a whole lot more:
- Up to a $300 annual travel credit
- Lounge access via a Priority Pass Select membership
- DashPass membership for a minimum of one year
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- Earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more