Cathay Pacific Raises Its Retirement Age From 55 to 60
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After months of discussion, Cathay Pacific signed an agreement to raise its retirement age from 55 to 60 on Thursday, Oct. 4. The Cathay Pacific Airways Flight Attendant Union considers the decision a major achievement, as they’ve been fighting for a retirement age extension for decades.
“Today, is the great victory for all workers in Hong Kong, especially Cabin Crew who have been stereotyped as young and pretty girls,” the FAU said in a Facebook post. “In this long standing fight, even though there have been so much challenges and obstacles within, we take this as a great leap forward in eliminating Age Discrimination of Hong Kong’s aviation industry.”
Cathay Pacific — and its subsidiary Cathay Dragon — are one of Hong Kong’s biggest employers with 20,000 employees, including more than 4,500 Hong Kong-based entry-level cabin crew. The airline expressed in a statement that extending the retirement age will prolong the promotion time for each rank.
“We understand that retirement age is a very important issue for many cabin crew,” Cathay Pacific said in a statement. “We are acutely aware that there are also differences of opinion regarding the subject among the crew community itself.”
The FAU also expressed that it understands this is not a perfect agreement for everyone involved.
This isn’t the first time the carrier has raised its retirement age; in 2008 Cathay raised the age for its Hong Kong-based cabin crew from 45 to 55 years. According to the South China Morning Post, pilots who signed contracts as far back as 1999 must retire at 55, while those who signed after the 2008 extension can retire at 65.
The South China Morning Post also reports that the new retirement policy will be effective as of January 2019, but there will also be new screening criteria. Only 75% of applicants who want to push back their retirement age can stay on, and their salaries will be cut by 3%-9%. The company said there will be a discussion with the FAU regarding this new agreement in the following week.
Featured image by Frogman1484 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees