Cathay Pacific Data Breach Affects 9.4 Million
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific announced on Wednesday that a data breach has affected 9.4 million of its customers.
The airline said it has not found any evidence that the customer information stolen has been misused yet. Data taken by the hackers includes passenger name, nationality, date of birth, phone number, email, address, passport number, identity card number, frequent flyer program membership number, customer service remarks and historical travel information.
Cathay Pacific also noted that a handful of credit card numbers were stolen: 27 credit card numbers with no CVV number were taken, along with 403 expired credit card numbers.
The combination of information taken from each passenger varies, the Hong Kong-based carrier noted in its statement. Cathay Pacific is reaching out to flyers whose data was stolen to alert them of the breach.
“We are in the process of contacting affected passengers, using multiple communications channels, and providing them with information on steps they can take to protect themselves,” Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg said in the release. “We have no evidence that any personal data has been misused. Noone’s travel or loyalty profile was accessed in full, and no passwords were compromised.”
The carrier says that as soon as it discovered the hack, it took “immediate action to investigate and contain the event.” The company apologized and said it would be beefing up its online security.
“We want to reassure our passengers that we took and continue to take measures to enhance our IT security,” Hogg added. “The safety and security of our passengers remains our top priority.” Police in Hong Kong and other authorities were alerted about the incident.
The hack did not affect flight safety because the IT system that was breached is completely different than the flight operations system.
Passengers who think they might have been affected by the breach can email the airline at email@example.com or visit infosecurity.cathaypacific.com for more information.
Featured image by Frogman1484/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees