This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Cathay Pacific Visa Signature Card has just increased its sign-up bonus to the highest it’s ever been.
Now through June 30, 2018, you can earn up to 60,000 miles when signing up for the Cathay Pacific Visa Signature Card — earn 35,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 within the first 90 days and earn an additional 25,000 bonus miles after spending an additional $7,500 within the first 12 months.
Based on TPG’s valuations, Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles are worth 1.4 cents apiece, which means those 60,000 miles are worth $840. But that’s a pretty steep spending requirement to earn the full 60,000 miles — a total of $10,000 in the first 12 months.
The card comes with a $95 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. Its category bonuses are decent for an airline credit card — you’ll earn:
- 2x miles on Cathay Pacific purchases
- 1.5x miles on dining in the US and abroad
- 1.5x miles on international purchases (those made outside the US)
- 1x miles on all other purchases made inside the US
Still, in pretty much all cases, you’re better off using a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points on dining and travel), the Platinum Card from American Express (5x points on airfare) or the Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5x points on all purchases).
If you’re interested in earning Asia miles and holding a card with great category bonuses, you’ll want to take a look at the Citi ThankYou Premier, since you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to Asia Miles. It’s currently offering a 50,000-point sign-up bonus after $4,000 spent in the first three months, and the $95 annual fee is waived the first year. You’ll earn 3x points on all travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment purchases and 1x points on everything else.
Earning and Redeeming Asia Miles
Remember that Cathay Pacific is a member of the Oneworld Alliance, so you can use Asia miles to book flights on all Oneworld carriers like American Airlines, British Airways and Qatar.
Asia Miles is transfer partners with American Express Membership Rewards (with a 1:1 transfer ratio), Citi ThankYou Rewards (also 1:1) and Starwood Preferred Guest (1:1 with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer).
Asia Miles uses a distance-based award chart, which can make for some interesting redemptions. You can also add multiple stopovers and open jaws to your itinerary.
You could fly in JAL business from the East Coast to Japan for 120,000 Asia miles round-trip.
Be sure to read our guide to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, since booking trips through the program can get quite complicated.
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- 50,000 Points are redeemable for $625 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $500 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*