This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been frustrated in the last few days about being unable to book Cathay Pacific awards with partner miles, there’s good news to report. Following last week’s online glitch, Cathay partner award booking capabilities appear to be back on track.
After the most recent devaluation of Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles went into effect on Friday, a technical blackout left Cathay’s OneWorld partner airlines unable to access the carrier’s inventory. Travelers around the world widely reported the same issues, including TPG readers who confirmed that American Airlines booking agents also said they could not find any Cathay award space.
All of the issues above appear to have been resolved, with Point Me to the Plane reporting that award searches on OneWorld partners Qantas and British Airways now display Cathay Pacific award seats again. We did a few searches of our own and confirmed that economy, premium economy, business and first class space all appear to now be showing again at ba.com:
Cathay Pacific is one of the best ways to utilize the Oneworld alliance to reach the Asia-Pacific region, with very competitive points and miles redemptions available through its partners — especially for travelers who rely on the American AAdvantage program to access award travel to Asia. Business class to Hong Kong (HKG) to or from the US is 70,000 AAdvantage miles one way, with first class at 110,000 miles.
Remember, though, that aa.com won’t show you Cathay award space — you’ll need to search for it through one of the sites above and then call in to American to book your ticket with AAdvantage miles.
Cathay Pacific responded to TPG regarding the system outage, saying, “Our system was being upgraded and the redemption process will return to normal gradually. We apologise for the inconvenience caused, please try again later.”
Featured image by Shutterstock.
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn up to 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles: 40,000 AAdvantage® miles after making $2,000 in purchases in first 3 months and 10,000 after making a total of $6,000 in purchases in first 12 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*