Cathay Pacific Misspells Own Name on a Plane, Has No Fs Left to Give
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever had to send a restaurant entree back to the kitchen? Cathay Pacific has you beat. The Hong Kong-based carrier recently had to send back an entire plane for a livery update after an unknown culprit prominently missed a letter in the airline’s name.
Cathay had a light-hearted take on the error, posting a playful “Oops!” tweet making fun of its own flub before getting the failure fixed.
However, not everyone felt quite so frivolously about the eff-up. The South China Morning Post reported that an engineer for Haeco, Cathay’s sister company, was “baffled” by how the mistake could have occurred. “The spacing is too on-point for a mishap. We have stencils. Should be a blank gap in between letters if it was a real mistake, I think,” the engineer said. It’s unclear whether Cathay or Haeco was to blame for the oversight. Regardless, the error will most likely cost several thousand dollars to fix, according to the South China Morning Post, and will keep the plane out of commission for a few more days.
Meanwhile, commenters and media outlets alike have been having a field day over the false step; the BBC posted an entire sentence summarizing the fracas without using a single F.
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.