This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever had to send a restaurant entree back to the kitchen? Cathay Pacific has you beat. The Hong Kong-based carrier recently had to send back an entire plane for a livery update after an unknown culprit prominently missed a letter in the airline’s name.
Cathay had a light-hearted take on the error, posting a playful “Oops!” tweet making fun of its own flub before getting the failure fixed.
However, not everyone felt quite so frivolously about the eff-up. The South China Morning Post reported that an engineer for Haeco, Cathay’s sister company, was “baffled” by how the mistake could have occurred. “The spacing is too on-point for a mishap. We have stencils. Should be a blank gap in between letters if it was a real mistake, I think,” the engineer said. It’s unclear whether Cathay or Haeco was to blame for the oversight. Regardless, the error will most likely cost several thousand dollars to fix, according to the South China Morning Post, and will keep the plane out of commission for a few more days.
Meanwhile, commenters and media outlets alike have been having a field day over the false step; the BBC posted an entire sentence summarizing the fracas without using a single F.
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees