Famed Carnival cruise director Matt Mitcham to take reader questions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the most popular cruise directors in the history of Carnival Cruise Line will be taking reader questions here at The Points Guy this week.
London-based Matt Mitcham, who announced on Aug. 26 in a Facebook post he was retiring from the line, is taking part in TPG’s Ask the Expert series on Instagram.
We’ll be posting an initial Instagram story with Mitcham later today on Monday, Sept. 7 on our Instagram account, and cruise fans who have a question about cruising for him will be able to leave it there. Questions can be submitted through the question sticker on the Instagram story or by sending us a direct message.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
Mitcham will be back on our Instagram account later in the week with answers to questions. Just be warned that, given the high volume of questions we expect, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to answer all of them.
Mitcham has been one of Carnival’s star cruise directors for years, and he has a huge following among cruise fans. His Facebook account, where he posts regularly, has more than 100,000 followers — a significant number for a cruise industry personality. He’s big on Instagram, too.
Currently under construction at a shipyard in Turku, Finland, Mardi Gras will be one of the biggest cruise ships in the world when it arrives — so big, it’ll famously have room for a roller coaster on its top deck, a cruise industry first.
Mitcham has served as cruise director on several Carnival ships including Carnival Vista and Carnival Breeze. Known for his six-pack abs, shirtless selfies and effervescent personality, he was recently profiled in People magazine as the “hunky cruise director.”
He was named the cruise world’s best cruise director in 2019 by the cruise industry’s leading magazine, Porthole.
“I am a whirlwind of emotions, from ecstatic to excited to sad to happy to nervous,” Mitcham said when announcing his retirement on Facebook. He didn’t say what he would do next.
“We’ve done a lot of talking over the past few months, and it’s definitely time for me to move on to my next adventure,” Mitcham said.
The Facebook video of Mitcham announcing his retirement has been watched by more than 164,000 people. Nearly 3,000 fans have left comments.
Planning a cruise for the coming year? These stories will help:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- 11 extra charges on cruise ships that will drive you nuts
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- The most exciting new ocean ships of 2020
- The best Caribbean cruises for every type of traveler
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Matt Mitcham
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees