Cape Air sets date for debut of new Tecnam prop aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cape Air has set a date for the debut of its first new aircraft, the Tecnam P2012 Traveller, with plans to introduce it on flights to Vermont in December.
The Hyannis, Massachusetts-based regional carrier will begin flying the prop plane between its Boston Logan (BOS) base and Rutland (RUT) on Dec. 14, its website and Diio by Cirium schedules show. The first passenger flight is scheduled as Cape Air 52 from Rutland to Boston at 7 am local time, according to Cape Air’s website.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
Seats are on sale on Cape Air’s website. However, as with any new aircraft introduction, the date could slide due to any number of reasons. In October, the airline’s training captain John Peck told TPG that entry-into-service was dependent on pilot training, which at the time was due to begin before the end of the month.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, while it had certified the Traveller, had yet to certify Cape Air’s pilot training program.
Cape Air CEO Dan Wolf said at the same October event that the airline would debut the Traveller on the Boston-Rutland route before rolling it out to other routes subsidized under the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Essential Air Service program. After the Boston EAS routes, Cape Air plans to begin flying the Traveller from its bases at Billings (BIL) in Montana and St. Louis (STL) over the next 18 months.
The Tecnam prop is Cape Air’s first-ever new aircraft. The airline has commitments for 110 aircraft with plans to replace its fleet of 83 Cessna 402s in five years or less.
The Traveller seats nine passengers — though, unfortunately, not in the co-pilot seat as they can on the Cessnas — plus two pilots. Each seat is a window seat and features amenities like a cup holder and USB power outlet.
Tecnam ferried the first two aircraft to Cape Air’s base on Cape Cod from Italy over three days in September. The aircraft made five stops enroute, including in Holland and Greenland.
Cape Air hopes to have 13 Travellers in its fleet by year-end.
Featured image courtesy of Tecnam Aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees