You can now cancel British Airways bookings for free even if made before pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has extended its “book with confidence” policy to keep up with the huge travel disruption caused by the coronavirus and the ever-changing global restrictions and quarantine regulations that come with it.
In a post on Instagram, the airline stated: “All existing bookings due to travel by 10 January 2021 now benefit from flexible changes.”
The keyword in this message is “all”. Let’s look into what that actually means.
View this post on Instagram
Our flexible change policy has been extended to cover all customers due to travel until 10 January 2021. To find out more about exchanging your booking for a voucher and changing your travel plans due to the ongoing #COVID19 uncertainty, visit ba.com/confidence
A post shared by British Airways (@british_airways) on
In an update earlier in October, the airline extended the time period on changeable tickets to any new flight and holiday bookings made from March 3 to October 13. Now, the initiative has been extended to cover all bookings from March 3 to no fixed date — meaning if you make a booking today, tomorrow or in the near future, according to this update, you will incur no fees when making changes to your booking — other than any difference in fare, of course.
Now, the best update, if you made a booking before March 3 — and well before the pandemic had started — you are now able to cancel it and you’ll receive a Future Travel Voucher for the value of the booking as long as you were due to travel before January 10, 2021.
This means that for people who booked travel well in advance for this year’s Christmas and New Year period, they are now able to cancel their bookings if they choose to do so. Interestingly, tickets before March 3 can’t be changed, just canceled.
The vouchers don’t need to be used until April 30, 2022, meaning that there’s plenty of time to spend them.
Even more flexibility means that if you booked travel with British Airways before March 3, 2020 and are due to travel by January 10, 2021 you can cancel your booking for free and receive vouchers with validity until April 20, 2022. If you made your booking after March 3 and you’re due to travel before August 30, 2021, you can still cancel your booking and receive a voucher.
Featured image by @byhafes via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees