Canada reportedly preparing to relax quarantine protocols for vaccinated visitors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is potentially great news for travelers thinking of visiting Canada this summer as Canadian officials are getting set to announce new, more relaxed border COVID-19 restrictions for people who are fully vaccinated.
Bloomberg is reporting that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau intends to reduce the current 14-day mandatory quarantine period for anyone entering Canada, provided they have had two vaccine doses. Those travelers crossing the Canadian border would still be required to take a COVID test, and a quarantine period would still be necessary, but sources say it would be for a shorter amount of time.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, anyone entering Canada must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival even if you have been fully vaccinated, tested negative for COVID, and/or show no symptoms.
At the moment, non-essential travel remains forbidden in Canada. Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, people registered under Canada’s Indian Act, protected persons, select foreign nationals traveling for essential reasons and immediate family members of Canadian citizens or residents are allowed to enter Canada, although there are some exceptions.
Trudeau is expected to make the announcement in the coming days, but it is not yet known when the proposed changes would go into effect. Also on Monday, Politico reported that Canada is looking at June 22 as the date to ease restrictions at the U.S.-Canadian border. That is the day after the long-running pact that limits non-essential travel between the neighboring countries which was put in place at the start of the pandemic is due for its monthly renewal.
The prime minister has previously said he would ease Canada’s border restrictions when 75% of Canadians had received at least the first dose of the vaccine, and 20% of the population had been fully vaccinated. As of May 29, more than 68 percent of Canadian adults had received at least one dose, while more than 7 percent were fully vaccinated.
It appears the decision to relax the quarantine requirements is due in part to the realization that doing so now would help salvage the summer tourist season. Pressure has been growing on both the Canadian and U.S. governments to ease restrictions that have been in place since March of 2020, which have drastically reduced ground and air traffic between the two nations. That pressure has intensified as vaccination rates continue to rise.
An extension of those restrictions for another month would be especially painful for the Canadian and American tourism industries, since it would restrict movement for the July 1 national holiday in Canada and the July 4 weekend in the states.
Featured Image by: Anna Gorin/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees