Canada’s Air Transat Gets Its First Long-Range Airbus A321
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Canadian leisure carrier Air Transat has taken delivery of its first Airbus A321LR aircraft.
The airline plans to deploy the new long-range variant of the A321 on “extended, thinner routes” that connect Canada to destinations in Europe, South America, Central America and the Caribbean.
“The arrival of this new generation of aircraft is an important moment for our company and our passengers in many respects,” Air Transat COO Annick Guérard says in a statement.
The narrow-body A321LR can fly up to 4,000 nautical miles, according to Airbus. The plane – the LR short for “long range” – is the longest-range single-aisle commercial jet in the world.
Airbus COO Christian Scherer touted the A321LR’s “increased range and low operating costs,” saying it would enable Air Transat “to increase flight frequencies, expand its network and strengthen its competitive position.”
The A321LR also made headlines in the US in April when jet JetBlue revealed its plan to use the jet for its expansion into Europe. JetBlue hasn’t given a precise start date, but says London flights will begin from both New York JFK and Boston in 2021 — the same year that the airline is expected to take its first A321LR.
At Air Transat, which is the process of converting to an all-Airbus fleet by 2022, the A321LRs will help replace both older narrow- and wide-body jets. FlightGlobal notes Air Transat “is one of the last remaining operators of passenger Airbus A310s, with six currently in service.”
As for the new A321LRs, Air Transat’s models will seat 199 passengers, including 12 recliner seats in the carrier’s Club Class cabin.
The jet is the first of 15 A321LRs slated to join Air Transat’s fleet.
Contributing: Wallace Cotton, TPG.
Featured image: Courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees