Canada’s Air Transat Gets Its First Long-Range Airbus A321
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Canadian leisure carrier Air Transat has taken delivery of its first Airbus A321LR aircraft.
The airline plans to deploy the new long-range variant of the A321 on “extended, thinner routes” that connect Canada to destinations in Europe, South America, Central America and the Caribbean.
“The arrival of this new generation of aircraft is an important moment for our company and our passengers in many respects,” Air Transat COO Annick Guérard says in a statement.
The narrow-body A321LR can fly up to 4,000 nautical miles, according to Airbus. The plane – the LR short for “long range” – is the longest-range single-aisle commercial jet in the world.
Airbus COO Christian Scherer touted the A321LR’s “increased range and low operating costs,” saying it would enable Air Transat “to increase flight frequencies, expand its network and strengthen its competitive position.”
The A321LR also made headlines in the US in April when jet JetBlue revealed its plan to use the jet for its expansion into Europe. JetBlue hasn’t given a precise start date, but says London flights will begin from both New York JFK and Boston in 2021 — the same year that the airline is expected to take its first A321LR.
At Air Transat, which is the process of converting to an all-Airbus fleet by 2022, the A321LRs will help replace both older narrow- and wide-body jets. FlightGlobal notes Air Transat “is one of the last remaining operators of passenger Airbus A310s, with six currently in service.”
As for the new A321LRs, Air Transat’s models will seat 199 passengers, including 12 recliner seats in the carrier’s Club Class cabin.
The jet is the first of 15 A321LRs slated to join Air Transat’s fleet.
Contributing: Wallace Cotton, TPG.
Featured image: Courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.