Got a few million to spare? You now can own your very own Carnival cruise ship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Call it the ultimate gift for the Carnival Cruise Line fan.
One of the iconic vessels from Carnival’s early years, the former Holiday, is coming up for auction next month in the U.K. and, in theory, anyone can make a bid.
London-based CW Kellock & Co, a ship auctioneer and broker, is handling the auction, which will be by sealed tender.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
The auction is taking place in the wake of the July collapse of British line Cruise & Maritime Voyages, which has been operating the vessel since 2015 under the name Magellan.
Cruise & Maritime Voyages is one of several cruise lines that have shut down for good amid the coronavirus-caused halt to most cruises around the world.
Offer from ShermansTravel: Luxe 10-night Monte Carlo-to-Venice cruise in 2021 w/Air, $3699+
Unveiled in 1985 when Carnival was barely a decade old, the 1,452-passenger Holiday was only the second vessel custom-built for the line. It arrived at a time when Carnival only was operating four ships and still was a relatively small company.
At 46,052 tons, Holiday is significantly smaller than many of Carnival’s current vessels. But it shares some of the same basic design elements found on newer Carnival ships — particularly when it comes to its exterior profile. Perhaps most notably, it features the iconic Carnival winged funnel that is perhaps the best-known marker of a Carnival ship.
Holiday was only the second Carnival ship to feature one of the funnels — a design flourish dreamed up by the noted ship designer Joe Farcus. Holiday’s signature Carnival funnel is now painted with the Cruise & Maritime Voyages logo but is otherwise unchanged.
Holiday sailed for Carnival for 24 years. In 2010, it was transferred to Iberocruceros, a now-defunct, Spain-based line that was owned by Carnival’s parent company, Carnival Corporation. It sailed for Iberocruceros as the Grand Holiday through 2014.
Carnival Corporation sold the vessel to Cruise & Maritime Voyages in 2015.
Holiday is the second oldest former Carnival ship still in existence. The oldest former Carnival ship that still exists is the former Tropicale, which now sails as the Peace Boat. Three earlier Carnival vessels — Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Festivale — have been scrapped.
Holiday isn’t the only Cruise & Maritime Voyages ship coming up for auction. CW Kellock & Co also is handling the auctions of four more of the line’s ships. They include Vasco da Gama, which long sailed as Holland America’s Statendam, and Columbus, which once sailed as Princess Cruises’ Star Princess.
The other two Cruise & Maritime Voyages ships up for auction are Marco Polo and Astor.
Holiday currently is docked at the Port of Tilbury near London and can be inspected by would-be buyers by arrangement with CW Kellock & Co.
CW Kellock & Co says bids for Holiday are due by Oct. 19. They should be submitted by sealed envelopes marked with the vessel’s current name (Magellan) to CW Kellock & Co Ltd, 5th Floor, 2 London Wall Buildings, London EC2M 5PP, U.K. Bids also can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CW Kellock & Co has not posted a pre-auction price estimate for the ship. But the final selling price is likely to be in the millions of dollars. That said, a former One Ocean Expeditions vessel sold at auction for just $600,000 in June. It was, notably, a much smaller ship.
Planning a cruise for the coming year? These stories will help:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- 11 extra charges on cruise ships that will drive you nuts
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- The most exciting new ocean ships of 2020
- The best Caribbean cruises for every type of traveler
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Carnival Cruise Line
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees