This is how much the Royal Family spends on travel every year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Royalty definitely has its perks. Reports are surfacing that the British Royal Family spends about £5m ($6.3 million) on travel every year — about 10% of their total budget of £50m ($63 million).
That’s not to say it’s all for leisure, though. The Royal Family is frequently jet-setting around the globe to represent England at various events and functions. While the Queen travels privately on the Royal Plane, the rest of the family has been known to fly commercial — and, on occasion, at the back of the plane. In fact, at the beginning of Harry and Meghan’s relationship, they flew Norwegian Air by stealthily boarding the back of the plane, baseball caps in tow.
According to Royal Correspondent Emily Andrews, Prince Andrew is not quite so low key. He loves “nothing better than to travel around the world in quite opulent, luxurious style and obviously he didn’t want to have to pay for any of that,” says Andrews. She added, “No chat on royal travel could not be complete without ‘air miles Andy’.” We like your style, Prince Andrew. Consider this your personal invitation to the TPG Awards in December.
Just how much would spending $6 million on travel get you? Let us put it into context for you:
- Approximately 572 round-trip flights in a Qsuite from New York-Kennedy (JFK) to Doha Hamad International Airport (DOH)
- About 4,437 nights (that’s 12 whole years) in an overwater villa at the St. Regis Maldives
- About 21,000 round-trip flights in coach from New York to Los Angeles (LAX)
While the Royal Family’s spending power may not be as strong as, say, Jeff Bezos, those are still some pretty impressive figures. Now, if only there were a website that would help them use credit card points to travel the world for free …
Featured image courtesy of Chris Jackson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees