British Airways’ A380 returns to service next month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In great news for both international travel and aviation enthusiasts, British Airways’ biggest aircraft will return to regularly scheduled passenger service in November.
After sitting in storage for some 18 months, five of BA’s 12-strong double-decker aircraft will initially be used on short-haul services from the carrier’s London Heathrow (LHR) hub to Frankfurt (FRA) and Madrid (MAD) from Nov. 8, according to Head For Points, which quoted internal scheduling documents. This is to refamiliarize pilots and crew with operating the world’s largest commercial aircraft.
The four-class aircraft has 469 seats across four cabins, with 14 First class, 97 Club World business class, 55 World Traveller Plus premium economy and 303 World Traveller economy seats. The Club World cabin features the older business-class seats, and not the new Club Suite seats.
If you’re looking for a very unusual way to fly within Europe next month, you can expect good Avios availability and a comfortable ride on this four-engine superjumbo. It’s likely British Airways and Oneworld elites will be able to select premium-economy seats with economy tickets on these short flights, though the spacious and luxurious first-class cabin may be blocked.
The airline is then expected to roster the Airbus A380 on long-haul routes from early December with all four classes on sale, including those that regularly saw this aircraft type, including Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX). Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) is expected to receive a British Airways A380 for the first time starting in December, according to updates in Cirrum scheduling.
Storing the world’s largest aircraft is no easy feat: British Airways has needed to find space for all 12 of its A380s in environments suitable for long-term aircraft storage. Aviation enthusiasts passing through Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport, home to BA’s sister airline, Iberia will spot half of BA’s A380 fleet resting in the dry and hot conditions.
Returning stored aircraft to service is also a complex process.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees