Brex Opens San Francisco City Lounge for Card Holders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning July 30, 2019, Brex Rewards now includes the ability to transfer points to six airline partners, making Brex points significantly more valuable. This comes on top of Brex issuing World Elite Mastercards for all its customers starting in February. Read our story for more information on the new transfer partners along with a special sign-up bonus, and find more info on the card’s World Elite Mastercard benefits here.
It’s been a busy few months for corporate charge card Brex, which has been trying to build a name for itself amid the increasingly competitive business credit card market. In December, it upgraded its travel earning category from 3x points to 4x points. Then in February, Brex transitioned to World Elite Mastercards for all its customers, introducing additional fraud and purchase protections, as well as enhanced travel benefits like travel and rental car insurance. And now, the issuer is further distinguishing itself as the go-to card for startups with the opening of its first physical space.
The new Oval Room by Brex is a members-only lounge in San Francisco’s South Park neighborhood. It is basically Brex’s take on the American Express Centurion airport lounges and Capital One Cafes, but tailored specifically to its startup entrepreneurs customer base.
The lounge is meant to be a place to connect, meet and engage with other members, as well as to host events and hold important business meetings that startups would otherwise have in coffee shops or nearby city parks. Amenities of the lounge include complimentary coffee, Chromebook rentals, phone and laptop charging, printing and scanning, a library of books on entrepreneurship, and concierge services. Hands down, the most valuable feature, however, is the ability to reserve the board meeting room or private lounge room (both AV-enabled) for free.
Although WeWork might come to mind, Brex made it clear that this lounge isn’t a coworking space and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for a day-to-day office. Aside from in the board room, all of the furniture in the Oval Room has a living-room feel to it, with no traditional work desks.
Connections between Billy McFarland’s Magnises Townhouse and Oval Room are also hard to ignore, but Brex stresses that the two are completely different. Unlike the Townhouse, Oval Room isn’t about exclusivity or turning people away. It is meant to reward entrepreneurs with the space and services they need to run their businesses. Brex hopes to foster a sense of community through hosting events like investor fireside chats and accelerator dinners, as well as other initiatives such as a community Slack channel.
Access to the space is currently on an invitation-only basis, but will expand further starting May 2019. Currently, the hours are 9:00am – 5:00pm Tuesday to Friday, but that is subject to change after this beta period. Card holders are able to bring up to two guests, or more if they reserve the boardroom or private lounge room.
Whether you’re a Brex card holder based out of San Francisco or travel there frequently for work, gaining complimentary access to a meeting room in the South Park neighborhood is a win. The Oval Room is definitely a much more presentable meeting space than a loud coffee shop or park and can save your business a lot of money if you’d otherwise pay to rent a space like this.
For more information on Brex, check out the following posts:
- Corporate Card Brex Launches ‘Brex Exclusive’ Rewards Program
- Brex Launches Travel Portal, Offers 4x Points on All Bookings
All images courtesy of Brex.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees