Richard Branson Begs Landlocked South Dakotans to Book a Virgin Voyages Cruise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers from every single state in the US have booked a sailing with forthcoming Virgin Voyages. Except, that is, South Dakota.
South Dakota counts Mount Rushmore, Michael Jordan and Tom Brokaw amongst its bragging rights. Residents of the state, however, do not take a lot of vacation time: The average full-time employee in South Dakota only uses 26% of his or her vacation days for travel.
In one of the most hilarious PR stunts we’ve witnessed in a long time, Sir Richard Branson took out an ad in today’s edition of The New York Times with an open letter to South Dakotans inviting them to cruise with his very own cruise line, Virgin Voyages. The new brand is putting the finishing touches on its inaugural ship, the Scarlet Lady — a swanky, adults-only vessel that will set sail early 2020.
“Where are you?” begins the plaintive message in a bottle. “Out of all the states in the US, you’re the only one that hasn’t booked to get on board with us at Virgin Voyages.”
Branson goes on to list a number of statistics about South Dakota professionals, none of which bode well for their relaxation habits. He ends the little love note with, “So, South Dakota, we personally invite you to join the rest of the United States of Virgin Voyages’ Sailors and get on board.”
Virgin Voyages has supplemented the open letter with a punny billboard campaign across South Dakota, with slogans such as, “Sioux . . . ya gonna book or what?” and “Rapid City, you’re not booking fast enough.”
To sweeten the deal, Virgin Voyages is offering some special swag to the first South Dakotan who books a cruise. The package includes $605 in Sailor Loot to use onboard the Scarlet Lady (a nod to the area code that covers, well, the entire Mount Rushmore State), and two first-class tickets “from the 605 to the 305” — that’s Branson speak for first-class tickets for two from South Dakota to Miami. The lucky South Dakotan will also receive a one-night hotel stay in Miami and a limo transfer from the hotel to the ship. Not a bad way to start a cruise.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees