Today only: Earn 12x Amex Membership Rewards points on hotel bookings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One of the fundamental elements of the points and miles hobby is to maximize every online purchase by going through a shopping portal. This doesn’t just apply when buying items online; you can also score bonus points, miles or cash back on travel purchases by using shopping portals.
And today’s an excellent day to make hotel reservations as you can get up to a 24% return on your spending (based on TPG’s valuations). Here’s how.
Rakuten (formerly Ebates) is offering up to 12% cash back at over 200 retailers today to celebrate 12 days until Christmas. As part of this sale, Rakuten is offering some excellent cash-back offers on hotel stays — which include:
- IHG Hotels — including:
That screenshot mentions 12% cash back, but I promised 12x American Express Membership Rewards points in the headline. Well, that’s because Rakuten members can opt into earning Membership Rewards points instead of cash back as long as you have an MR-earning credit card.
At current TPG valuations, Membership Rewards points are worth 2 cents each. That means the 12x Membership Rewards return on these hotel reservations is worth around 24 cents per dollar spent. If you know how to maximize American Express Membership Rewards points, you can get even more value than that.
For example, you can transfer Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club during this month’s transfer bonus to book first-class round-trip flights to Japan for as little as 70,000 Membership Rewards points. Taken to the extreme, you could spend $6,000 at IHG hotels during this Rakuten promotion to get 72,000 Membership Rewards points — enough for that round-trip first-class award on ANA when transferred to Flying Club.
Or, you can book Delta One Suites to Asia for just 60,000 Flying Club miles — which require a transfer of 47,000 American Express MR points during the transfer bonus. That would require less than $4,000 in spending at these 12x merchants today to get a Delta One Suite flight to Tokyo, Beijing or beyond.
In a much more practical move, you can score United awards for cheap through Avianca’s LifeMiles program, which was recently added as a 1:1 transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards. Domestic United award flights start at just 5,000 LifeMiles. That means you can get a free United flight just for spending $420 on IHG hotels through this promotion.
Even better, since you’re booking directly with the hotel through these shopping portals, you’ll still earn hotel points, elite credits and the ability to use elite benefits.
Before you book, make sure to register for and check your IHG Accelerate offers so you can potentially earn even more bonus IHG points from the reservation. Then make sure you’re putting the purchase on the right travel rewards credit card to further maximize your earnings.
Although we haven’t seen many IHG credit card spending offers recently, it’s worth checking your American Express cards for Amex Offers and Chase cards for Chase Offers. If you don’t have any offers, use a card that maximizes your spending at IHG hotels:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel, 6%)
- Citi Prestige® Card (3x on hotels, 5.1%)
- Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel, 5.1%)
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (10x IHG points on IHG stays, 5% return)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel, 4%)
Return percentage based on TPG valuations and not provided by issuers
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Poike/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.