Boeing delays first 777X flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing’s newest wide-body aircraft was set to fly at 10 a.m. local time (1 p.m. ET) on Thursday at Boeing’s assembly line facility near Everett, Washington,
In a tweet early Thursday morning, the company tweeted:
“We are postponing the #777X first flight that was scheduled to take place tomorrow, Jan. 23, due to weather. The team is currently assessing the possibility of flying on January 24. Stay tuned for updates.”
Weather near Everett on Thursday shows rain throughout the day, switching between light rain and steady rain between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. local time, when the test flight was set to take place. However, according to weather.com, showers are also expected in the Everett area on Jan. 24, the possible new date of the first flight.
When Boeing first announced the test flight earlier this week, spokesman Paul Bergman said that the date could change due to weather and other factors.
The already-delayed 777X is set to be the largest twin-engine passenger aircraft ever built, with the possibility of sitting more than 400 passengers on the 777-9. It will most closely compete with Airbus’ A350 model. The 777X has a range of about 8,400 miles (7,285 nautical miles) for the 777-9, while the 777-8 has a range of about 10,000 miles (8,730 nautical miles).
Featured photo courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.