Blue Origin’s first space flight launching Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than two decades after founding his own space company Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos will officially launch into his next adventure post-Amazon, as he travels to space Tuesday aboard the New Shepard rocket.
“For New Shepard, we’ve been following an aggressive step-by-step approach from the beginning,” Gary Lai, senior director at New Shepard Design, said in a video on Twitter. The first version, M1, flew in April 2015. As TPG previously reported, New Shepard will carry passengers and crew 62 miles above the earth into suborbital space.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In June, Blue Origin announced that the richest person in the world and former CEO of Amazon would soon be among just a few billionaires to reach space (Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, was on a Virgin Galactic flight earlier this month and SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk has a down payment for an upcoming trip), the Washington Post first reported.
View this post on Instagram
Accompanying Bezos will be his younger brother Mark Bezos, 18-year-old Oliver Daeman and 82-year-old Wally Funk, known for being the first female Federal Aviation Administration inspector and first female National Transportation Safety Board air safety investigator. The two are also the youngest and oldest astronauts respectively to ever travel to space. Daeman is replacing an anonymous winner of an online auction who paid $28 million for the very first seat on New Shepard’s first human flight on July 20, and who the company said dropped out due to scheduling issues.
“We thank the auction winner for their generous support of Club for the Future and are honored to welcome Oliver to fly with us on New Shepard,” Bob Smith, CEO of Blue Origin, said in a statement. “This marks the beginning of commercial operations for New Shepard, and Oliver represents a new generation of people who will help us build a road to space.”
Blue Origin said that the money will be donated to the company’s foundation, Club for the Future, which will give $1 million each to 19 different nonprofits for efforts supporting “living and working in space.”
Daeman, the Dutch teen who is the first paying customer on New Shepard, recalled his first memories of space and rockets while watching “Thunderbirds,” a British sci-fi series.
View this post on Instagram
“I feel a responsibility because I’m the youngest in space and to get more young people interested in space,” Daeman said on Instagram. “And not even just space by science, it’s such an opportunity for me to do … When I touch down, I think I’ll be just speechless.”
The launch of New Shepard will be broadcast live on BlueOrigin.com starting at 6:30 a.m. CDT Tuesday, July 20, with liftoff at 8 a.m. from Van Horn, Texas.
Featured photo of Blue Origin in Van Horn, Texas, by Joe Raedle/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees