Amex Blue Cash Preferred Now Offering 6% Back on Streaming, 3% Back on Transit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex has made some updates to the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Now, both new and existing customers will earn bonus cash back on two additional categories: streaming and transit.
The Blue Cash Preferred will earn 6% back on select US streaming subscriptions, with no cap on bonus cash back. Eligible streaming services include platforms such as Apple Music, Audible, HBO Now, Hulu and Netflix. The full list is as follows:
- Amazon Music
- Apple Music
- CBS All Access
- Direct TV Now
- Fubo TV
- HBO Now
- Kindle Unlimited
- NBA League Pass
- Prime Video Unlimited
- Sling TV
- SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
- YouTube Music Premium
- YouTube Premium
- YouTube TV
This new bonus category addition brings the card to the top of our list of the best credit cards for streaming purchases.
Transit is the second new bonus category — you’ll earn 3% back on:
- Lyft, Uber and other ride-share services
- Train fares
There won’t be any cap on this new bonus category, either, so reload that MetroCard to your heart’s content.
In addition to these two new bonus categories, the Blue Cash Preferred already offers:
- 6% back at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year; then 1%
- 3% back at US gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits.
The card used to offer 3% back at US department stores, but Amex is discontinuing that bonus category — on July 31 for those who applied and were approved before May 9, 2019.
Amex has updated the card’s design as well, switching from the blue and white design to a more mature look, complete with the issuer’s Centurion logo.
The annual fee is $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95 (see rates & fees), but the Blue Cash Preferred is now offering an increased welcome bonus: Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first six months of card membership..
With the addition of bonus cash back on both streaming and transit, the Blue Cash Preferred is one of the most well-rounded cash-back cards out there, and it’s especially well aligned with the kind of purchases many younger consumers are making. It’s now a tough card to beat for everyday cash back on streaming purchases, and its cash back bonus on transit rivals others in the best cash back credit cards category as well.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first six months of card membership.
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming services and 3% cash back on transit. Plus earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) and 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits.
- Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Buy Now, Pay Later: Enjoy $0 intro plan fees when you use Plan It® to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months after account opening. Plans created after that will have a monthly plan fee up to 1.33% of each purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.99% to 23.99%
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees