2 of the Best Public Bathrooms in America Are Apparently in Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In this week’s weird news about airports, not one but two different airport bathrooms are up for a very prestigious award.
According to View From the Wing, a new restroom at Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA) and a bathroom at New York-LGA’s Terminal B have been nominated as finalists in the 2019 America’s Best Restroom contest, which is hosted by the business-support company, Cintas Corporation. The contest is now in its 18th year.
The two domestic airports (well, specifically, their bathrooms) are going head-to-head with eight other restrooms in the US that have been selected for their cleanliness and design.
“… Each of this year’s finalists offer cleanliness and unique design elements worthy of any Instagram selfie,” said Sean Mulcahey, marketing manager at Cintas, in a statement. “These finalists understand the importance of ensuring patrons leave the restroom with a positive, lasting impression.”
The sparkly new bathroom in Seattle was built as part of the Seattle Terminal Modernization Project, the same one that brought you Alaska Airlines’ fancy new lounge. It has quartz multistation stalls; environmentally-friendly flush fixtures that use rainwater; separate sinks in the ADA-compliant stalls; and, of course, automatic soap dispensers.
As far as the bathroom that shines like the top of the Chrysler building at LaGuardia, you’ll find it in the new Terminal B. Speaking from experience here, it’s actually very pleasant and clean — it felt closer to a hotel bathroom than one you’d find at one of the worst airports in the nation.
And Cintas agrees. They said, “The stalls are deeper and wider to allow passengers to easily bring in luggage and close the door behind them … They’re designed to be as hands-free as possible.” They even have live orchids and custom mosaic tiles.
Competitors include the Nashville Zoo, where one men’s restroom has floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooking a python exhibit; and the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York City, where restrooms are covered in a pixilated, orange-and-turquoise print of cherry blossoms.
You can vote for your favorite here, but hurry! Voting closes on Sept. 13. The lucky winner will be announced this fall and will win $2,500 in facility services “to help maintain their award-winning washrooms,” according to a statement.
Oh, and a coveted spot in the America’s Best Restroom Hall of Fame, of course.
Featured photo by Daniel Garzn Herazo / EyeEm / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees