Barclays is adding a new rewards card to its lineup — but it won’t be available to new cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When the Apple Card came out a couple of years ago, it was largely a disappointment. While the white metal card is aesthetically pleasing, it doesn’t have much else to offer unless you are a true Apple fan. With no sign-up bonus and few perks, you’re most likely better off with a cash-back card instead.
What most consumers are unaware of are Apple’s pre-existing credit card offerings issued by Barclays. Among these options included the Barclaycard Financing Visa, Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, Apple Credit Account and the Barclaycard with iTunes Rewards Visa.
If you’re a cardholder of any of the above, these cards will soon be scrapped and automatically replaced by the Barclays View Mastercard or the Barclays® Financing Mastercard. You won’t have to do anything for this product change, and both of these cards will continue to have no annual fees — but will not be available to new cardholders.
In this post, we’ll focus on the View Mastercard — a cash-back card that’s replacing the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
Improved rewards rate
If you’re a current cardholder of the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, you’re in luck. The new Barclays View Mastercard is an upgrade from the existing card, thanks to its improved rewards rate.
|Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards (old)||Barclays View Mastercard (new)|
The downside is that there’s no longer a bonus for Apple purchases, as this new card does not offer a rewards program tied to Apple. While you can apply for the Apple Card, you’ll also likely be able to lock in bonus rewards by purchasing Apple products through a shopping portal.
The information for the Barclays View Mastercard, Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, Apple Card, Barclaycard Financing Visa, Apple Credit Account and the Barclaycard with iTunes Rewards Visa have been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
New redemption options
The previous Barclaycard with Apple Rewards offered an uninspiring loyalty program. You could redeem your points for Apple, iTunes or App Store gift cards.
With the overhaul of the Apple Rewards program, the new View Mastercard is no different than a simple cash-back card. You’ll have three redemption options with your points:
- Cash back in the form of statement credits or direct deposit, starting at a minimum redemption of 2,500 points ($25 value)
- Gift cards, starting at a minimum redemption of 2,500 points ($25 value)
- Merchandise — redemption values vary
You’ll most likely get your best value by opting for cash back or gift cards, as you’re guaranteed 1 cent per point. While redemption values will vary for merchandise, it’s unlikely you’ll get a better value than the former options.
While you’ll no longer be able to redeem your points through the Apple Rewards program, cardholders will occasionally have access to promotional financing offers on retailers such as Apple, Best Buy and more.
Furthermore, you’ll also enjoy the following benefits:
- Access to Mastercard Global Services, including 24/7 customer service assistance with lost and stolen card reporting, emergency card replacement and emergency cash advance
- $0 fraud liability protection
- Contactless chip technology
While Barclays is adding this card to its lineup to replace the existing Barclaycard with Apple Rewards, it won’t be available for new applicants.
Fortunately for existing cardholders, you’ll enjoy an automatic product change, rewards rate boost and more redemption options. Since the Apple Rewards program was never convincing in the first place, your new View card will act like a cash-back card instead. If you’re looking for a card with an earning rate centered around Apple purchases, you can still apply for the Apple Card.
Featured photo by Tolga Akmen/AFP for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.