The Bahamas: Still open to travel after Hurricane Dorian
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Bahamas want you to know they are still open for business, according to a report by My Sunny Coast. The chain of some 700 islands was battered by Hurricane Dorian last week, leaving major devastation in its wake. However, not all of the islands were damaged and some of the most popular destinations, including Atlantis on Paradise Island, were unharmed by the storm.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation (BMOTA) urged travelers to keep their travel plans to islands that were not affected and remain open, including Nassau and Paradise Island in Northwest Bahamas, along with Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Andros, Bimini and The Berry Islands. Islands in southeastern and central Bahamas unaffected include The Exumas, Cat Island, San Salvador, Rum Cay, Long Island, Acklins/Crooked Island, Mayaguana and Inagua.
The Bahamas rely heavily on revenue from tourists visiting the island nation. Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis wanted to get that message out, saying, “One of the best ways that people around the world can show their support and solidarity… is to visit our other islands by air or by cruise ship.”
BMOTA shared a list of airports that are still open to travelers:
- Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA) in Nassau remains open with flights from international gateways back on schedule.
- Airports in Exuma are open with regular non-stop flights from major gateways.
- South Bimini Airport (BIM)
- North Eleuthera Airport (ELH)
- Stella Maris Airport (SML) and Deadman’s Cay Airport (LGI) in Long Island remain open.
However, Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO) and Leonard Thompson International Airport (MHH) in Marsh Harbour, Abaco will remain closed until further notice.
If you’re looking to head to the Bahamas and help out local economies there in the recovery process, check out our complete guide for visiting using points and miles and save that cash for spending once you arrived.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees