Here’s how you can help those affected by Hurricane Dorian
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Dorian stalled over the Bahamas last week, leaving a path of devastation in its wake. It’s currently making its way up the East Coast of the U.S., and residents and travelers in certain coastal areas are being evacuated as the storm nears landfall. Thousands of flights have been cancelled, and many airports are closed, including those in Florida and the Bahamas.
But amid the devastating storm, there’s a glimmer of light. One six-year-old boy has gone above and beyond to help out his fellow community members. Jermaine Belle of Allendale, South Carolina gave up the money he was saving for a Disney World vacation and used it instead to purchase hot dogs, chips and water for people who were evacuated.
In times of crisis like these, Belle’s efforts are an example to us all. And fortunately, there are many ways to help people impacted by the hurricane.
Companies and charities that operate in the storm’s path have been making plans for the recovery effort. Here’s what’s already been announced, and how you can help:
If you live in the coastal Southeast, Airbnb is asking you to consider opening your home to evacuees and relief workers for free through Sept. 16.
If you’re able to, you can sign up here for the platform’s Open Homes Program. If you are evacuating or planning to help with relief efforts after the storm passes, you can also use Airbnb’s website to find free accommodations.
AAdvantage customers can earn 10 miles per dollar when they donate to the Red Cross through Sept. 20 on the airline’s donation page. The minimum donation is $25. Click here for more information.
Global Giving has set up a Hurricane Dorian relief fund, with a goal of raising $2 million for recovery efforts. The fund will initially provide resources to first responders and survivors, and then will help back longer-term recovery efforts. Click here to donate.
Delta Air Lines
SkyMiles members can donate miles to the Red Cross and other charities assisting the relief effort. Delta customers can also donate cash to the through the airline’s Red Cross partnership. Click here for more information.
International Medical Corps
The International Medical Corps has already begun mobilizing its response, sending a team to Florida’s State Emergency Operations Center on Monday. The corps will provide physical and mental health professionals during Florida’s response to the storm and is assisting the recovery that is already underway in Puerto Rico and the Bahamas. Click here to support this effort.
Anyone can donate directly to the Red Cross, which is already beginning to mobilize its emergency response teams. The charity is also requesting blood donations.
Save the Children
The charity is also deploying emergency response teams to help children and families in the hurricane’s path. It has requested donations to aid those efforts.
If you’re a United MilagePlus member, your donation can earn you 1,000 miles in your MileagePlus account. Donations of $50 or more made via the airline’s crowdfunding website will qualify you for the bonus miles. United is offering up to a total of 5 million miles to members as part of the campaign.
Check back here for updates as other companies and charities announce their plans.
Additional reporting by Samantha Rosen.
Featured photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees