British Airways suspends all flights to and from mainland China
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In light of the coronavirus crisis and Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s updated guidance for travel to China, British Airways has suspended all flights to and from mainland China. British Airways flights to Hong Kong will continue to fly as scheduled.
Prior to Wednesday’s suspension, British Airways operated flights between London Heathrow and Beijing and Shanghai. The suspension takes effect immediately and will last until Jan. 31, while the airline assesses the situation. However, there are no nonstop British Airways-operated flights on sale to mainland China until March 1, 2020.
“We apologise to customers for the inconvenience, but the safety of our customers and crew is always our priority,” British Airways said in a statement.
The airline is allowing passengers who had travel booked to China through Feb. 23, 2020, to rebook to the same destination at a later date. The itinerary must be in the same cabin class as the original flight or a lower cabin, if available. Additionally, if you had travel booked with BA to China through Feb. 23, you can request a refund from the airline, which also applies to reward bookings. Contact the airline to change your itinerary or request a refund.
The FCO is advising against all travel to Hubei providence and encourages those who are still there to leave immediately. The FCO is now advising against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao).
The virus has caused more than 100 deaths and has spread beyond China to 16 other countries.There have been no confirmed cases in the U.K., with 97 people having tested negative for the virus.
“We are also working urgently to finalise arrangements for an assisted departure from Hubei Province for British nationals this week, and are in contact with people in Hubei to ensure they register their interest and that we can keep them updated,” Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said.
A number of airlines have cancelled some flights to China, such as Air Canada, United Airlines and Cathay Pacific. As of time of publication, Virgin Atlantic is still operating its nonstop route between London and Shanghai, however, it is allowing passengers to rebook, change their destination or cancel and receive a full refund for their itinerary.
“We’re closely monitoring the situation regarding coronavirus and will always follow guidance set out by relevant authorities,” a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson said in a statement.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees