Heathrow to create separate arrival area to contain deadly new virus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London Heathrow Airport has introduced a new precautionary area to help in the containment of the coronavirus. U.K. transport minister Grant Shapps announced on Wednesday that the airport will introduce a separate area for passengers arriving from the region that has been affected by the fast-spreading virus.
As of Wednesday’s announcement, Heathrow is containing arriving passengers from the Chinese city of Wuhan. Currently, there is only one nonstop flight from Wuhan (WUH) to LHR, which operates three times weekly by China Southern.
Related reading: What spread of deadly new virus means for travelers
Flight CZ673, which is a codeshare flight with British Airways, arrives at Heathrow on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with a scheduled arrival time of 6:30 p.m. China Southern, which was previously a member of the SkyTeam alliance before leaving in January 2019, operates out of Heathrow’s Terminal 4.
“This is to ensure that when flights come in directly to Heathrow there is a separate area for people to arrive in,” Shapps said.
Wuhan, the most populous city in Central China, is the epicenter of the coronavirus. Since first reports, it has spread to other Chinese cities, as well as reported cases in the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Chinese officials say there have been 440 cases of the flu-like virus reported in the country and nine people have died.
According to the BBC, Chinese authorities have advised people from traveling into and out of Wuhan. The U.K. has upgraded its risk for coronavirus from very low to low.
“The welfare of our passengers and colleagues is always our main priority and we are working with the Government to support the implementation of enhanced monitoring measures as a precaution,” a spokesperson for Heathrow said in a statement. “We would like to reassure passengers that the Government assesses the risk of a traveller contracting Coronavirus to be low. We would encourage anyone with individual questions or concerns to refer to guidance from Public Health England and the Foreign Office.”
Coronaviruses are a group of respiratory-based viruses transmitted through coughs and sneezes by infected patients and touching of contaminated objects. Common symptoms include a fever, dry cough, mild breathing difficulties, stomach issues, diarrhea and general body aches.
Featured photo by DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees