BA Pays Tribute to Freddie Mercury — Its Most Famous Baggage Handler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Half a century ago, young Farrokh Bulsara (better known by his stage name Freddie Mercury) worked as a baggage handler for British Airways at London Heathrow International Airport (LHR). His career eventually took him in another direction as the legendary frontman for Queen, but the airline honored his legacy Wednesday with a tribute performance from his successors.
Freddie Mercury would have celebrated his 72nd birthday on Sept. 5. Unfortunately, Mercury passed away from AIDS complications in 1991, but not before becoming one of the most well-known musical icons of all time.
In honor of its most famous employee, British Airways hosted a surprise for travelers in London Heathrow’s Terminal 5 on Sept. 5, enlisting a number of current Heathrow baggage handlers to perform a choreographed dance to Queen’s song, “I Want To Break Free.” The team, who worked with British choreographer Lyndon Lloyd to incorporate bright-colored carry-ons and fake mustaches, practiced for weeks before the viral performance in front of a terminal full of delighted passengers.
Baggage manager Adam Dewey said, “Freddie Mercury is an undisputed rock legend, and it has been an absolute blast planning his birthday celebrations at Heathrow Airport, where he once worked. Myself and the other baggage handlers taking part have put everything into these dance routines, and we can’t wait to see the faces on holidaymakers when they strut their stuff in the arrivals hall.”
Heathrow had other tributes of its own. Terminal 5 celebrated “Freddie Mercury Day” Wednesday, September 5, by offering travelers named Freddie, Fred, Frederick or Farrokh free access to one of British Airway’s posh lounges, along with any travel companions. The airport also posted Queen songs on the arrivals boards and will display memorabilia related to Queen and Freddie Mercury in the departures area of Terminal 5 in anticipation of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the upcoming biopic of Mercury and Queen’s musical legacy, which reaches theaters in November.
Featured photos courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees