Takeoff for British Airways’ limited edition 747-inspired luggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The handmade carry-on cases — resplendent with the airline’s iconic BOAC livery and an actual fragment from a retired 747 aircraft — don’t come cheap, though. Two are currently being auctioned to raise funds for Flying Start, British Airways’ global charity partnership with Comic Relief, and bids start at about $2,725 (£2,000).
The pair of suitcases were the only passengers on BA’s final 747 flight on Dec. 11, 2020, from its engineering base at Cardiff Airport to the aircraft’s new permanent home in St Athan, South Wales.
An extra bonus: The luggage has also been signed by the flight’s captain, Richard Allen-Williams, British Airways’ Chief Training Pilot.
The suitcases, created in partnership with luxury luggage brand Globe-Trotter, are made from high gloss vulcanized fibreboard and have a pearly white shimmer, navy leather trim on the corners and a hand-painted “Gold Speedbird” insignia on the front exterior.
“We are thrilled to be working with Globe-Trotter to create this very special product, and through this unique auction raise money for vital Comic Relief projects across the U.K. and overseas,” British Airways’ Head of Brands & Marketing Hamish McVey said in a statement.
AvGeeks and luggage lovers need to act quick — the range is limited to just 150 suitcases, available to order online and in Globe-Trotter’s flagship shops.
During the 1960s, Globe-Trotter was the luggage of choice for BOAC crew, who treasured them for their strength and durability.
“The commemorative BOAC case that we have created together, is the perfect celebration of travel and style – two values that have inspired the past and indeed the future of Globe-Trotter,” Executive Chairman of Globe-Trotter Vicente Castellano said in a statement.
Featured photo courtesy of British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees