Your Kids Can Soon Fly to the Azores for 50% Off
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Azores, a cluster of nine volcanic islands off the coast of Portugal, is one of the most popular new destinations to emerge in travelers’ collective consciousness. You may even know it as the next Iceland.
Appealing for its lush greenery, ancient hot springs, proximity to the United States (just a five-hour flight) and increased connectivity, the Azores have never been more attractive for US-based travelers. And it’s never been more affordable, either.
Families traveling with young children can soon — as of Aug. 20 — score deep discounts on flights to the Portuguese archipelago with Azores Airlines. For a limited time, the airline is giving children between the ages of 2 and 11 a 50% discount on the lowest-published fare, not including surcharges or airport taxes.
According to a spokesperson for the airline, Jayme Simōes, the airline’s commercial director, Gavin Eccles, is hoping to “encourage families looking for [a destination] that is safe, close and great for families” to consider the Azores.
“Parents, like me, want to show kids a new place that inspires and amazes,” Simōes told TPG. “But [a destination] that is not too far, safe, affordable [and] family-friendly.” As Simōes pointed out, Portugal was ranked one of the top five safest countries in the world this year. And the cuisine is delightfully inexpensive.
Outdoorsy families, in particular, will find a number of fun diversions during a trip to the Azores, including whale watching, hiking, snorkeling and laid-back beach days.
To take advantage of this deal, parents must book travel between Aug. 20 and Sept. 9 for trips from Boston (BOS) to the Azorean island of São Miguel (PDL). Travel dates are valid between either Nov. 1 and Dec. 18, or between Jan. 10 and April 30, 2019. And yes, that does mean serious savings on winter and spring vacations for the family. You must book directly with Azores Airlines’ website or by phone (800-762-9995). Because the promotion hasn’t yet started, if you’re hoping to take advantage, you’ll want to wait until Aug. 20 to get the discount.
Flying with a little one younger than two? Parents for even tinier tots will get the standard discount of 90% to 95% off the standard fare (before surcharges and airport taxes).
At this time, Azores Airlines operates nine weekly flights from BOS to PDL (on shiny new Airbus A321neos).
Featured image by Dennis Fischer Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.