Your Kids Can Soon Fly to the Azores for 50% Off
The Azores, a cluster of nine volcanic islands off the coast of Portugal, is one of the most popular new destinations to emerge in travelers’ collective consciousness. You may even know it as the next Iceland.
Appealing for its lush greenery, ancient hot springs, proximity to the United States (just a five-hour flight) and increased connectivity, the Azores have never been more attractive for US-based travelers. And it’s never been more affordable, either.
Families traveling with young children can soon — as of Aug. 20 — score deep discounts on flights to the Portuguese archipelago with Azores Airlines. For a limited time, the airline is giving children between the ages of 2 and 11 a 50% discount on the lowest-published fare, not including surcharges or airport taxes.
According to a spokesperson for the airline, Jayme Simōes, the airline’s commercial director, Gavin Eccles, is hoping to “encourage families looking for [a destination] that is safe, close and great for families” to consider the Azores.
“Parents, like me, want to show kids a new place that inspires and amazes,” Simōes told TPG. “But [a destination] that is not too far, safe, affordable [and] family-friendly.” As Simōes pointed out, Portugal was ranked one of the top five safest countries in the world this year. And the cuisine is delightfully inexpensive.
Outdoorsy families, in particular, will find a number of fun diversions during a trip to the Azores, including whale watching, hiking, snorkeling and laid-back beach days.
To take advantage of this deal, parents must book travel between Aug. 20 and Sept. 9 for trips from Boston (BOS) to the Azorean island of São Miguel (PDL). Travel dates are valid between either Nov. 1 and Dec. 18, or between Jan. 10 and April 30, 2019. And yes, that does mean serious savings on winter and spring vacations for the family. You must book directly with Azores Airlines’ website or by phone (800-762-9995). Because the promotion hasn’t yet started, if you’re hoping to take advantage, you’ll want to wait until Aug. 20 to get the discount.
Flying with a little one younger than two? Parents for even tinier tots will get the standard discount of 90% to 95% off the standard fare (before surcharges and airport taxes).
At this time, Azores Airlines operates nine weekly flights from BOS to PDL (on shiny new Airbus A321neos).
Featured image by Dennis Fischer Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees