Sneak peek: America’s newest airline paints its first jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
America’s newest airline is one step closer to taking off.
Avelo Airlines, a start-up airline by former Allegiant and United Airlines executive Andrew Levy, has just rolled its first aircraft out of the paint shop. The plane, spotted by eagle-eyed AvGeeks at Indianapolis International Airport (IND), is decked out in a modern blue, white and yellow color scheme. It’s definitely on the more conventional side compared to the flashy blue livery of the US’s other new start-up carrier, Breeze Airways.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Avelo’s first jet is a Boeing 737-800, registered N803XT. It’s not a completely new plane, however. The jet is 15 years old and was originally operated by Turkish Airlines.
While we don’t know yet what the interior looks like, we do know that the plane will feature 189 seats in a single-class configuration. That’ll be a tight squeeze, but makes sense given the airline’s low-cost model.
The airline will be based in Houston, Texas and operate point-to-point routes, connecting underserved, secondary airports with domestic leisure markets. This is a similar business model to Breeze, but with a larger aircraft and slightly different destinations. “The best way to compete in the airline industry is to not compete,” Levy said in an interview last year.
No launch date has been set, though Avelo will likely begin operations sometime this year. The airline is already hiring crewmembers in cities like Houston, Burbank and Chicago.
Featured image by Jackson Wanstrath/@planespottingcvg.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.