Australia and New Zealand to launch quarantine-free travel bubble this month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Australia and New Zealand are nearly ready to launch their long-awaited travel bubble for quarantine-free journeys between the two countries.
On Tuesday, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the plan to launch a travel bubble with Australia, which is set to launch on April 19, 2021.
The move later this month will be the first time a quarantine-free travel arrangement will be honored on both ends. Since October 2020, several Australian states have allowed travelers coming from New Zealand to enter without quarantining. However, New Zealand hasn’t reciprocated the quarantine-free travel arrangement because of some small, isolated outbreaks in Australia.
Both New Zealand and Australia have maintained some of the lowest COVID-19 rates in the world. Since the start of the pandemic, both countries effectively shut their borders in an attempt to keep from importing the virus. The move, which has largely been successful, has meant that New Zealand has seen a total of 2,524 cases and 26 deaths, while Australia has seen 29,365 cases and 909 deaths.
“I cannot see or point to any countries in the world that are maintaining a strategy of keeping their countries completed COVID-free, whilst opening up to international travel between each other,” Ardern said. “That means that, in a way, you know, we are world-leading.”
When the travel bubble launches on April 19, passengers traveling from Australia to New Zealand must have spent the previous 14 days in Australia only. Additionally, airline crews will be permitted to enter quarantine-free, so long as they have only worked on low-risk routes. All passengers will be required to wear masks and give New Zealand authorities information about where they’ll be staying.
With Tuesday’s announcement, Ardern clarified that should there be an outbreak, travel arrangements could change.
“The bubble will give our economic recovery a boost and represents a world-leading arrangement of safely opening up international travel while continuing to pursue a strategy of elimination and keeping the virus out,” Ardern said.
The national flag carrier of Australia Qantas said that once the travel bubble launches later this month it would resume 122 flights to New Zealand per week, according to the BBC. Air New Zealand also plans to ramp up frequencies to Australia.
For those not already within the travel bubble, it may still be some time before New Zealand and Australia open their borders to other tourists. New Zealand has indicated that its borders may remain shut for the duration of 2021, while Australia says its borders will be closed until at least June 2021.
When the travel bubble launches, it will be one of the first of its kind. The true first sustained travel bubble opened last week between Taiwan and Palau.
Featured photo by James D. Morgan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.