AtlasGlobal resumes operations after month-long halt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After ceasing all flights last month due to financial difficulties, Turkey’s AtlasGlobal has resumed regular operations as originally planned.
The airline took the drastic step of grounding all of its fleet on 26 November 2019, but indicated at the time that it would resume operations on 21 December 2019, allowing time to restructure and improve its cashflow. While for some airlines a temporary grounding is the first public sign of an airline collapsing, as seen with Star Alliance member Adria Airways recently, AtlasGlobal stayed true to its word. Flights on the popular London Stansted (STN) to Istanbul (IST) route resumed over the weekend in time for the busy holiday travel period.
The airline’s website is now accepting new flight bookings after shutting down for the four-week period completely. The only reference to previously cancelled flights is that all flights during that period are ‘on hold’. If you held a booking on the airline during the period of 26 November to 21 December and you were not contacted by the airline, you should now contact it to discuss options for refunds or rebooking. If you made a booking on AtlasGlobal for travel in 2020 before 26 November 2019, you should also check the status of your booking, as the airline may not operate exactly the same schedule as prior to the shutdown.
AtlasGlobal has blamed several factors for its financial position including decreased demand for tourism in Turkey following political unrest, and increased costs of operating from the new, state-of-the-art Istanbul Airport.
Featured photo by JACK GUEZ/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees