Points not accepted: Inside the Presidential Suite at Atlantis Dubai
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s entirely possible to live it up in Dubai on points and miles. You can fly round-trip in one of the world’s best first-class suites, score some incredible hotel redemptions and even use credit perks to reimburse fantastic meals all around the UAE.
But, as with everywhere else in the world, some experiences are simply out of reach of travelers looking to redeem points from large hotel loyalty programs — instead, you’ll need to pay cash if you’re hoping to book a stay.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
On my most recent trip, I decided to check out The Palm as a guest of Atlantis, with the goal of visiting the hotel’s sought-after Underwater Suites.
Sadly, both ended up getting booked at the last minute during my stay, but I was able to score a few minutes in another sky-high booking option: a 2,300-square-foot Presidential Suite.
You can’t book it with hotel points, but if you could, you’d likely be looking at a hefty sum — a night in a Presidential Suite starts above 20,000 dirhams, or roughly $5,500, after-tax.
The main living room area is enormous, with a huge sitting area to one side and a billiards table in the middle, plus three separate terraces. There’s also a 10-person dining room, complete with a full-size kitchen around the corner.
Maybe I just haven’t lived, but I’ve definitely never stayed in a hotel room with its own billiards table.
The bathroom and changing areas alone are more spacious than many hotel rooms.
And don’t worry — with two toilets and two showers, you definitely won’t have to share.
Naturally, all of the amenities include 24 karat gold flakes throughout. Just because.
Around the corner from the master bathroom is a huge bedroom — there might even be too much space.
My wide-angle lens definitely adds a few square feet, but it really is an enormous space. It was also pristine, having undergone a major refresh earlier in 2020.
The bedroom has two more terraces, both overlooking the pool, beach and Dubai skyline.
The views are just out-of-this-world — especially at sunset.
Of course, just because you can’t redeem points for a stay doesn’t mean you won’t earn them!
Personally, I’d search for the lowest available rate and earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on travel by paying with the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, or you can book through Amex Travel to earn 5x Membership Rewards points with cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express, equivalent to a 10% return, based on TPG’s valuations.
The $5,500 price tag includes more than just the suite — you’ll also get a second interconnected room, bundled airport transfers, private butler service, access to the Imperial Club Lounge, private cabanas, spa access, waterpark passes and a handful of other freebies, ranging from massages and personal training sessions to aquarium tickets and a chance to swim with the resort’s resident dolphins.
So, while the Palm’s Presidential Suite does not come cheap, it could be worth the splurge — for someone happy to spend over $10,000 on a two-night stay.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Note: The author was staying at the hotel for free, an arrangement provided by the public relations team.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees