Ready Traveler One: You’ll soon be able to stay in a video game-themed hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nostalgic for the good old days? If you’re a gamer, you can soon revel in days gone by in an Atari-themed hotel.
Atari no doubt is betting on its former customers, now all grown up, to make its travel industry debut a success. The iconic video game company and its signature Atari 2600 gaming console was a mainstay of entertainment culture for several decades, still alive to this day thanks to fan tributes such as 2018’s cult blockbuster, “Ready Player One.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The “world-class video game-themed hotels” are a collaboration with experiential agency GSD Group and developer True North Studio, with Atari earning 5% of all Atari Hotels revenue.
“Some of the rooms will have a retro style, while others could be inspired by ‘Ready Player One,'” GSD Group CEO Shelly Murphy told CNN.
Murphy and business partner Napoleon Smith III are no stranger to this sentimental era of nostalgia. Smith produced the 2014 reboot of the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” movie, reviving the beloved franchise for a new generation.
“When creating this brand-new hotel concept, we knew that Atari would be the perfect way to give guests the nostalgic and retro-meets-modern look and feel we were going for,” Smith said in a statement. “Let’s face it, how cool will it be to stay inside an Atari?”
The first property is scheduled to break ground in Phoenix sometime this year, while other locations are planned for Austin, Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco and San Jose, California. The prototype image included in the press release depicts the stylized Atari logo outlined in sleek red neon against the side of the otherwise ordinary facade.
For gamers, at least, the property’s true allure lies within: The hotel will integrate virtual and augmented reality experiences throughout, including state-of-the-art venues and studios for hosting electronic sports, or esport events, in some locations, as well as party rooms set up with 10 gaming consoles. The founders envision “affordably priced” rooms with premium upgrades available for travelers who may wish to host video game sleepovers. (Sign us up!)
Video games are big business, especially in Asia, where esports are more popular than many athletic sports. More than 2.5 billion gamers worldwide spent over $152.1 billion on games in 2019 alone, according to Atari Hotels — nearly a 10% increase year on year.
“One of the most distinctive trends in gaming is gamers gravitating toward recognizable intellectual property,” according to a statement about the forthcoming property, and “Atari Hotels will offer consumers exactly that, marrying the origins of gaming and the future of the booming industry into a fun and unique travel destination.”
Featured image courtesy of Atari Hotels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees