Select national retailers now selling at-home COVID-19 tests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As millions of Americans receive a COVID-19 vaccine each day, we can be more confident that an end to the pandemic that upended the world over the last year is in sight.
And as we begin to return to “normal” life, which includes traveling more frequently, many public health experts agree that continued testing for COVID-19 will be critical to the recovery of the economy as the country continues to vaccinate as many people as possible.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Having access to fast, affordable and convenient testing options is more important than ever to continue making progress against the pandemic and to help facilitate safe travel while most of the world is still dealing with the health crisis in one way or another.
Fortunately, several national retailers now sell at-home testing kits.
According to AARP, Abbott Laboratories began shipping its at-home antigen testing product to various CVS, Walgreens and Walmart retail stores across the country. The Abbott kit comes with two tests and sells for $23.99, and can be purchased online through those chains.
And by the end of next month, another company called Ellume hopes to have its own at-home testing kit on the shelves of most CVS stores. Both tests have received emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Unlike other at-home testing products, Abbott’s do-it-yourself tests do not require you to send your kit to a lab for processing. In fact, you will get results in about 15 minutes.
However, it’s important to note that the majority of countries requiring negative COVID tests for entry will only accept results from PCR tests, so you would not be able to utilize one of these at-home testing kits for your pre-departure testing requirement. Some PCR companies do offer at-home test kits, and the results from some of these kits have begun being accepted in certain destinations.
Theoretically, you could purchase one of these rapid-test kits before a trip and then administer the test yourself while abroad, but it’s generally safer to get tested through your hotel or a local lab, since we don’t yet know if results from these kinds of kits will be accepted for entry into the United States.
Featured photo by BCFC via Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees