United cancels more Asia flights — Japan, Singapore and more affected
United Airlines has chopped more flights between the U.S. and popular Asian destinations in March and April because of growing coronavirus fears. The outbreak recently prompted change and cancellation waivers for Europe travel, as well.
United Airlines announced that its cancellation of all flights to Beijing (PEK), Chengdu (CTU), Shanghai (PVG) and Hong Kong (HKG) will be extended through April 30, 2020.
The airline is also canceling the following:
- Chicago (ORD)-Tokyo (NRT) — March 8 through March 27
- Houston (IAH)-Tokyo (NRT) — March 8 through April 24
- Los Angeles (LAX)-Tokyo (NRT) — March 8 through April 24
Additionally, United will reduce frequencies as follows:
- Newark (EWR)-Tokyo (NRT) — from daily to 5x weekly for April
- San Francisco (SFO)-Seoul (ICN) — from up to 2x daily to 3x weekly for March 8 through April 30
- San Francisco (SFO)-Singapore (SIN) — 2x daily to 1x daily for March 8 through April 24
- San Francisco (SFO)-Osaka (KIX) — from daily to 5x weekly for April
Finally, the airline will be downgauging aircraft as follows:
- Honolulu (HNL)-Tokyo (NRT) — from 777-200 to 787-8 for April
- San Francisco (SFO)-Taipei (TPE) — from 777-300 to 787-9 for March and April
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As of now, United plans to move forward with its plan to expand service to Tokyo Haneda (HND) with four new flights from the U.S. beginning March 28, 2020. Under that plan, daily service will launch from Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Newark (EWR) and Washington, D.C. (IAD) and daily flights from San Francisco (SFO) will continue as scheduled.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.