Aruba airport plans expansion of US departure hall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aruba’s Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA) is expanding with a project called Gateway 2030, including new gates, check-in areas, upgrades and more restaurants and bars. Construction for Gateway 2030 has already begun and is expected to cost $140 million.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Current construction is at phase 1-A, which includes the expansion of the U.S. departures check-in hall, aiming to be twice the size of the existing area, according to Vacations by Aruba. Phase 1-A is expected to be completed by 2024.
Other elements of phase 1A include the construction of a new baggage hall, the implementation of a new baggage handling system and the addition of necessary airside and landside connections, according to the Aruba airport’s website.
With travel on the upswing as more people get vaccinated, warm island destinations such as Aruba are experiencing increased passenger traffic.
In August, Frontier Airlines added new service to Aruba as part of a 15-route expansion. Frontier’s first flights to Aruba will begin on Nov. 20, when the low-cost carrier launches a twice-weekly service from Miami.
Other airlines that currently fly to Aruba include American Airlines, Delta, Jet Blue, Spirit, Southwest and United Airlines.
Some of the best points hotels in Aruba include Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino and The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba.
Photo by EQRoy/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees