Apple Card now offering more categories with 3% cash back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Apple Card has only been available for a few weeks, but the company has already taken steps to boost rewards, adding merchants that offer 3% cash back — or “Daily Cash,” as Apple calls it.
First, Uber and Walgreens (including Duane Reade stores) joined purchases at Apple‘s own stores as the only third-party 3% merchants, and now T-Mobile is the first and only wireless provider offering 3% Daily Cash. T-Mobile customers will be able to earn 3% cash back with their Apple Card starting on Friday, Sept. 20.
You’ll need to pay via Apple Pay at Walgreens, with Uber and at T-Mobile to earn the 3% cash back, while purchases made with Apple can be completed through traditional methods like swiping your Apple Card.
T-Mobile is also offering 50% off any new iPhone with an eligible trade-in. If you’re a photo geek, you’re going to want to take a look at the new camera quality. As for Walgreens, it’s expanding its in-store offering of Apple products, adding accessories like headphones, power cables and cases to 2,600 locations around the US. Apple, meanwhile, has committed to adding more 3% partners, with details expected to roll out over the coming months.
With these new merchants factored in, here’s how the Apple Card stacks up to some other no annual fee cards:
|Card Name||Best For||Cash-Back Overview||Intro APR period||Foreign-Transaction Fees||Sign-Up Bonus|
|Apple Card||Apple purchases, simplicity||3% (purchases made directly with Apple, Uber, Walgreens and Duane Reade, T-Mobile)
2% (all Apple Pay purchases)
1% (everything else)
|None (12.99% to 23.99% variable APR from open)||None||None|
|Citi® Double Cash Card||Everyday spending||2% (all purchases; 1% when you buy and 1% as you pay)||0% APR for 18-months on balance transfers made within the first four months of account opening (then 13.99% – 23.99% variable APR applies)||3%||None|
|Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card||Dining and entertainment||3% (dining and entertainment)
2% (back at grocery stores)
1% (everything else)
|0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers (then a 15.49% – 25.49% variable APR applies)||None||$150 one-time bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening|
Additional reporting by Liz Hund
The information for the Citi Double Cash card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.